Chapter 12: Lindsey or Kennedy?

Kennedy wraps her arms around Owen. Overpowering grief is running through all of our blood. No one could prepare us for this. Caspian couldn't. Kris couldn't. We weren't ready. We could have done more to stop Caspian from doing this. The horrible thing is, I don't think Caspian cares! Sage even stood up for him just moments ago. She was saying that maybe he has good intentions. And now she's dead at the hand of Caspian. He doesn't have good intentions. He isn't here for our group.

Lindsey makes her way to my side. She doesn't reach for my hand the way she used to. She doesn't even make an attempt to look into my eyes. Her blank stare into nothingness says it all. She's numb to it all now. She doesn't even seem to care, no emotion at all. Then it shows... A single tear drips from her eye and off her cheek.

"Lindsey," I whisper.

"Don't, Vince. What's the point of this?" she groans as she steps away and into one of the dark corners of the loft. The only proof of her presence is the squeaking and popping of the wood.

"We have to deal with it. Sometimes, people die," Caspian says, making an excuse for himself.

"No, sometimes people get people killed," Titus snarls at him.

Caspian squints his eyes at Titus, "it's not my fault she's dead. Sage had a gun. She could have fought back."

"I think we all need to stop. We're staying here tonight, but in the morning we're leaving. We absolutely cannot stay here. They will come looking for them tomorrow," Kris raises his finger and points at Caspian with unstoppable authority. His tone changes, "and don't even begin to say anything," he professes, his face turning red in anger. "You've done enough here. Put your gun away. You will do what I say about this. Do you understand me?" With his eyebrows squinting towards each other, he lets his question linger in the barn.

Caspian raises his hands and begins to clap at him, letting a second or two pass between each clap. Clap. Clap. Clap.

Kennedy flips her hair over her shoulder, "you better stop while you're ahead. I don't think you have a clue."

Titus follows her lead, "he doesn't have a clue."

Caspian grabs his gun, forcing everyone to jump and prepare for another battle. Titus is the first to point his gun at him. Caspian chuckles, "calm down, little boy," as he throws his gun on the ground toward Kris' feet. "Take your dumb gun. I'll do what you say, but by my choice." His voice changes back to its usual scratch.

Kris picks the gun up and zips it in one of the bags. Caspian takes his shirt off and turns it into a pillow. He lays his head on the ground and closes his eyes. The way he can just brush it all off of his shoulders, Sage's death, like it's nothing. It's disgusting. It turns my stomach.

Kris calls us all to a meeting. Everyone but Caspian attends. We all sit in a circle on the soggy floor of the loft. I can barely see Mika's face, but from what I can see, she's furious. Her cheeks are no longer pale; they're red like a scar.

Kris begins, "it's hard to let go, and you don't have to. Sage was a great girl, and she helped us all out. It's not okay... Mika, I know."

"Caspian..." she begins to say. Her own emotions interrupt her.

"Caspian doesn't understand, I know. We have to stay together. We all want to live, to survive the sleepers. We're still in the sleeper zone. We must fight and protect ourselves," Kris continues.