Chapter 15: Torn Apart

We hear the truck's engine start then slowly fade away. Just four sleepers were able to take Titus from us. And that's nothing compared to how many are really out there. How many sleepers are hiding behind every corner? Searching, killing. And on top of it all, they have a part of us now. Titus has fought harder than any of us. He's been there for every single one of us at some point. And now he's gone. It's bitter safety for the rest of us.

Without Titus, the atmosphere doesn't feel the same. Kris usually had one hand around his shoulders, leading him, mentoring him. From the day it all started, when that cup was shot out of his hand, Titus was on the move. And I guess that's what he's doing now.

"He's not dead." Kennedy leans into my side. She rubs my arm to comfort me.

"He's gone," I tell her.

"He's gone, but he's not dead. Titus knows when to fight and when to fly. He's going to make it," she puts her hands on my face, "please have hope."

"I don't have hope anymore."

"Do you see Lindsey over there? She's alone, and it's by choice! She's sitting in that dark corner. She's sinking deeper and deeper into her own self-dread. That's the lack of hope... Have hope."

Without thinking, I say "Lindsey lost her parents."

Kennedy has every reason to slap me in the face, but she doesn't. She doesn't even change her facial expression. "I lost my parents, too."

"I'm sorry." I drop my head, "I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay... I lost everything I knew, and I still have hope. Can you?" Kennedy puts her hair into a ponytail and brushes a speck of dirt off her face, "I'm not giving up because I lost my parents. I'm going to keep moving because I lost my parents. They may not have always been there, but they would give anything in the world to keep me alive. They would be ashamed if I just gave up. I keep moving and keep going for them. They're gone, but I'm not. And neither are you. So have hope. Titus is not dead. He's just gone, for now. Have hope."

The transfiguration Kennedy just spoke into me bewilders me. It changes things. You would think that someone would be trapped in a pit of negativity when they watch their best friend get taken by the very people you're fighting. But something about this girl, the way she finds peace in the darkest moments, she brought me up.

I wish she could tell Lindsey those things. Lindsey is nothing but a wall at this point. Talking to her is like talking to a fencepost. This is a perfect example of what the sleeper zone can do to someone. You can let positivity bring you to where you need to be, or let negativity eat you alive. Tear you apart from the inside.

Kris slings the bags towards us. "Get ready. They're gone and we're about to be, too."

I grab a bag and take it to Lindsey. In her haunting silence, she raises from her dark corner and takes the bag from me. Letting the weight of the bag sway her dangling arm.

"We're leaving."

"I know." She lets her hair hide her face.

She walks past me and climbs down the ladder before anyone is able to say anything to her. She passes Owen, Mika, and Caspian without even raising her head. She avoids them like the paparazzi.

"Well..." Mika says as she spins the top on her water bottle.

"Can we get out of here? This place is evil. It's so sad that we came here with Titus and Sage and we're leaving without them," Owen announces.