Chapter 33: "Yes"

FIVE YEARS LATER

Kennedy and I live with my parents on the sandy west coast. We decided that living where everything happened was...old. We thought a change of scenery, a change in atmosphere was what we needed. We were right.

Next door is my uncle Kris. He's doing just fine. I think there might be a special girl in his life now. In fact, I think I see him going on dates some nights. Kennedy has no idea that I'm going to propose to her tomorrow. I'm going to take her to the beach and have every comfort item sitting on a reserved section. I'll drop to one knee and ask for her hand in marriage.

Mika and Luke are far ahead of us though. They're married now! The wedding was beautiful. It was shades of lavender and white, and she looked happier than I've ever seen her. They've been married for almost a year and a half now. They live in central Vista in a house next to the most beautiful river in the country. Their home is decorated with Luke's photographs that he sells for at least five figures these days. We video-chat on occasion. And last week, she dropped the news that they are expecting a baby!

And Owen...he's been working harder than any of us. He wrote a book about our adventures in the sleeper zone, and it was instantly accepted by a publisher and hit the top of the charts. He's a rich best-seller. He doesn't have to, nor do we ask, but he sends money to the rest of us every month. He says if it wasn't for us, he wouldn't be here. He's now a flashy public figure, but he's also candid. He's met talk show hosts all across the country. Owen Proctor is now a household name. Owen the famous historian and public figure. I still laugh when someone says his name. It's still hard to believe that he is who he is now. He doesn't act any different either. Still the same old Owen.

I guess Noah and Lindsey are still Noah and Lindsey. I haven't seen or spoken to either of them since Lindsey returned. I don't want to either.

Titus. I don't know anything about Titus. The last we saw him was that night when the sleepers took him away. I don't know if he's even alive. With the privacy laws that were set into place years ago, it's hard to get information on survivors. We still hope that one day a notification will come to our doorstep. Kennedy still checks every day. I know Kris does, too.

Nasom moved out to the west coast with us. He's not currently living here though. He's gone off to a university to become a nurse.

__________

The next day, I wait on the beach for Kennedy to arrive. I'm standing next to a bleached white chair covered in cotton. She's coming this way, kicking the sand up with every step. Her emerald dress flows in the wind following the same path of her glistening brown hair. I twirl the ring's velvet box in my jacket pocket. I know she'll love the platinum silver rock on the band. It's huge and draws attention the same way her eyes do.

When she gets close enough, she can tell by the way I'm nervously swaying what I'm about to do. She already cups her face and starts to cry. I lean down in the sand on one knee and show her the diamond prism.

"Yes."