Chapter 27: Cheater

The survivors are getting their checks and examinations done just on the other side of the fence. A small crowd has formed waiting outside the gates of the high school football field. Families and friends, old and young, all holding each other in anticipation of their loved ones' arrival. We've all been waiting too long. When can this all be over? Some are already crying.

Of course, Kennedy is at my side. Noah and Nasom also made their way out here. It's the high school they're staying at but the window didn't do the job.

Staring at the gate, Nasom whispers, "Well, this is gonna be awkward. Lindsey seeing you two together this close," from the corner of his mouth.

"True," I say without moving from Kennedy's side. I'm not playing that game anymore. I'm picking Kennedy. Is it going to cause some trouble? Probably. Do I care? I do. I'm going to make choices for me now. I have to!

I'm choosing Kennedy.

I feel a warm hand on my shoulder. I turn to Kris. He doesn't even have bags under his eyes, the only noticeable difference is the bulging bandage under his shirt and the walking stick he's leaning on.

"Look who it is," I say.

Kennedy jumps to hug him. She squeezes his neck, forcing him to squint his eyes when she rubs over his shoulder.

"Oh, sorry," Kennedy timidly tells him.

"Shut it and give me a hug!"

I decide it's only right if I join... and I want to. The three of us have a group hug, gracing each other in our warmth. I see Owen, Mika, and Luke behind me. Mika nods her head and shines one of her bright smiles. An extra twinkle is in her eye, probably because Luke's with her.

The gate creeps open to the field. The metal door gongs against the fence and everyone freezes. Every head in the crowd perches up like birds hearing someone near. All eyes are on the doorway. There she is. The first one.

My mom's blond hair, the curls still springing through the wind. She opens her arms and picks up her pace. I run to her. I can touch her! There's no fence between us, nothing to hold us back. She's no longer a prisoner. She's one of us now: another survivor from the sleeper zone.

"I'm so proud of you. You did it," I say.

"No, baby. I'm proud of you."

"It wasn't me. Kris led us all. He is the only reason we're alive." Kris peeks from the crowd now intertwining with their loved ones. My mom just opens her mouth and looks at him. He nods at her as he scratches the stubble on his chin.

"Kris..." she doesn't know what to say.

"Alissa, it's okay," Kris says, chuckling.

She squeezes me tighter, "you're all so skinny. Look at you!"

"No, Mom. Look at you!"

I guess I never paid attention to that. We weren't on the best diets in the sleeper zone. We didn't always have a nice four-star meal every night. Her smell can't go unnoticed either. I bet Luke almost passed out when we showed up. The smell is horrid. The smell of mud, sweat, and a sprinkle of blood.

"What hap—what happened!" I'm overwhelmed and stuttered over my words.

"They liberated our camp. They ran up from every corner and direction. They saved us. It was scary, it truly was. I was ducking and running between housing chambers and hoping a stray bullet wouldn't get me. They saved us and took every last one of those people out. Who are the prisoners now?"

"So...that was Rose's camp, too...Is she here?" Kris asks.

My mom drops her head and shakes off his question.

That was an answer in itself. Rose isn't here. She's not walking out of the gate. Not today. Not ever.

"Okay, I have a house they assigned me to. I want you to live with me," she tells me. "It's an old couple. I'm sure they would love our company."

"Please, I'd love to! Is that even a question!?" I pause and glance over to Kennedy. "Can Ken come too?"

"We haven't met, but I'm sure she's a great girl. C'mon, hunny." My mom waves at her.

Kris decides he will take my place at Luke's apartment to live with Owen and Mika. That's good for him. He's healing and should be with them. Someone like Kris doesn't deserve to be alone! Not after everything he's done for us.

Our big moment is shortly interrupted by a little one. Lindsey curls out from the gate and searches around. I know she's looking out of habit. But it's sad. She doesn't have parents to look around for. Neither of them. But somehow, she opens her mouth with a bright smile I haven't seen since we started dating a long, long, six months ago. Maybe she does have someone after all?

I'm confused. What's over there for her? I mean, I want someone to be there for her... I just didn't think there was anyone there for her. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

A boy runs up and their embrace looks more romantic than anything I've ever seen come from Lindsey. They lock lips and don't break free for a while. What...is this? Twirling in each other's arms and occasionally losing balance.

Lindsey can't stop blushing, can't stop smiling.

Finally, they turn and we can see their faces.

Nasom's mouth drops at the same time mine does. He's just as shocked as I am, "is that... Noah?"

"It is," I say and tromp towards them with anger in every step.