Chapter 26: The "Refugee"

Walking through the parking lot to the high school, nothing is familiar. It doesn't seem like a school anymore. Posters hang over the original signs. "HOUSING FOR REFUGEES".

I grab onto Kennedy's hand and step through the heavy front doors. The only thing that tells you this is a school anymore is the skeleton like hallways and pale walls. Even the smell of the school isn't like a high school. It smells like scented spray and disinfectant wipes. This high school is now a place for survivors instead of students carrying backpacks too heavy and heads too stressed.

In the front office, everyone is friendly and wants to help out. It's more like a hotel now with classrooms filled with people who were either evacuated or worked their way out of the sleeper zone. I ask the man behind the desk for Noah and Nasom's room. They're staying in the same room on the west hallway.

"Room 47" he tells us.

We turn the endless corners to get to the west hallway. We scan the doors until we find a painted 47 on the door. The peeling red paint on the door shows the cold metal behind it. Kennedy peels the dry paint a little further off.

I open the door and instantly see Nasom's broad shoulders and short dark hair. An empty box of playing cards twirling between his fingers.

"Nasom," I say.

Noah and Nasom both jump at my voice. They're not used to it, nor did they expect it. Nasom's eyes widen and he blatantly flips a chair on his way to me.

"You're alive," Noah says.

"I am. I am."

"How?" Nasom asks as he leans in for a hug.

"It's a long story. Long, long story. We lost people, we killed people, we ran, and ran some more. That sleeper zone almost got me. It really did."

They seem shocked. I'm sure they knew it was terrible out there. Maybe they're surprised we're alive. Noah rolls up the sleeves of his wool sweater. He playfully squints his eyes at me, then points to Kennedy, "who's this?"

"Oh my, you're that girl that ran up right before it happened. I remember your face," Nasom says.

Kennedy has a hint of blushing on her face, but it quickly fades away as she straightens her shoulders, "that's me. We made it." Kennedy points at me.

"Oh, her name's Kennedy. That's Noah. And that's Nasom," I tell her pointing at them.

"Nice to meet you two."

They nod at her, noticing that our hands are interlocked. I know they are somewhat confused. The last time they saw me, I was with Lindsey.

Noah raises his head, looking very worried, "what about... Lindsey?"

"I...don't know where she is. She broke down. Too far broken, too far gone. She fell apart and gave up on us. She really did have it bad, but we all did. She wanted to kill herself, and our group had no choice but to leave her behind. I don't know what happened to her."

Noah and Nasom don't say anything. They just look at me, knowing we've gone through it all. Kennedy decides to break the awkward silence, "she lost her parents in that first attack. It broke her. There was another girl who was at her side..." Kennedy freezes, remembering Rosemary. "There was another girl who turned herself over to the sleepers, it was Lindsey's closest friend. She truly didn't seem like she had anyone."