Chapter 32: The After Party...

My dad sits next to my mom at the dinner table. Mr. Hernandez puts a plate full of polvorones in the center of the table. The cinnamon instantly fills the room. My dad reaches for one and lets it melt in his mouth.

His smile is just like the way it used to be. I know I've been internally strong the entire time but I think I'm allowed to cry at least once. I can't help but let the salty tears race down my face. Just to see the way my mom looks at him. She can't take her eyes off him. This reunion. This happiness. You can't beat it.

When my dad first saw Kennedy, he jumped a little. He jerked his head around to mom and me, looking for answers. I couldn't help but chuckle as I explained how she ended up here. I told him who Kennedy is. What she's been through. I made sure not to use that to describe her though. I don't think you should title people based on the horrible things they've been through. She is way more than that.

My dad is tall and looks a lot like his brother Kris. He had an abnormally long beard when he arrived at the house. His nails were dirty and his skin seemed whiter.

When it happened, he saw my mom get taken away by the sleepers. He thought if they were together, they would do what was right for each other. They would put each other first, and that could cause them both to die. He made a conscience decision to run and let my mom Alissa survive on her own. He trusted her and knew she could do it...and she could.

"Kyle, you like my cookies?" Mr. Hernandez asks. He swats the sugar and cinnamon from his hands.

"I love them," my dad answers. He picks up another polvorón and drops it into his mouth. He smiles, only showing his teeth as he lets it melt on his tongue.

__________

Two weeks later, we walk into the backyard of Luke's friend's house. He invited everyone to a celebratory cookout. Mika, Owen, Kris, Kennedy, my family, everyone was invited, and we all came. A decorative wooden patio sits facing the swimming pool. Everyone is standing around holding red plastic cups and chatting about everything from who's wearing the best dress to who's moving in down the street. The conversations are slowly starting to go back to normal.

Strung to the ends of fence poles, red and yellow balloons drift in the wind. Tables have red and white tablecloths hanging over the edges. The food looks great and smells even better.

Kennedy's eyes dart around at the different people, then over them and into the distant background. The neighboring houses are just as nice as this one. She peeks around her head as if she is still on full alert...and I catch myself doing the same thing every once in awhile.

It's just like when the sleepers started to attack. Kennedy and I both were at our own backyard parties when they showed up ready to murder us. And here we are. At another backyard party. What happened to us was traumatic. But, I don't want to be scared at every cookout I attend...

My parents seem to be in the same state of mind. They keep occupying their hands with pointless decorations to keep their minds off it. They perk up and smile when being introduced to new people, but I know deep down, they're not fully ready to transition back into everyday life.

The 'refugees', survivors, almost stick out in the group. Our muscles are more tense than the others. Our shoulders are a little tighter.

Mika and Luke walk to us by the left corner of the house. We're in the presence of everyone, but also keeping our distance. Close enough to smile and say hello, but not close enough to interact more than that.

"Get over here," Mika says pointing her finger in a friendly manner.

"I'm not ready," I tell her.

"And you never will be if you just sit here. Get out of your comfort zone, will ya?"

I rub my neck and look away. My heart rate staying at the steady pace.

"You've come way too far to do this. You're not the timid Vince anymore. You're not the scared boy who kept running. I watched you turn into a fighter. Where is the fighter Vince at? You're safe here. It's nothing but peace," Mika lets go of Luke's hand and grabs mine. "Let's go. Let those walls tumble down."

She's right. I thought I wasn't ready. I thought Kennedy and I would stay in our corner of 'safety'. We were too nervous to have any fun. I remember how scared I was when I went back to my parents' room. None of my anxiety would change what was happening then, and it won't change it now. I have come too far to fall back into a fearful routine.

Kennedy looks at me and nods her head. She smiles the way she did when we first kissed, but her eyes are brighter. I squeeze her hand and she follows my lead out into the crowd. My lead out of the comfort zone. Into courage and into boldness.

The Vista is ready for anything. Kennedy's ready for anything.

I'm ready for anything.