III. Dark Night Of The Soul | Bones

The past year has been living hell for you, and it doesn't help that you're thousands of light years from home. You've broken up with your fiancé after you found him cheating on you, your father died in a training accident, and you're fairly certain that your CO, Doctor Leonard McCoy, hates you.

Things could be better.

You're a strong woman, but all of these things combined is too much for anyone. It's driven you to be more work focused than ever. You've lost contact with friends on the Enterprise and you barely speak to anyone anymore unless as a nurse.

The word is depression.

So, on a day like any other, you walk into the Medical Bay for the early shift. The only other person working at this hour is Doctor McCoy. "You're late," is his usual greeting.

You sigh, walking to your locker to put on your nurse's lab coat. "I'm sorry, Sir. Long night."

McCoy huffs. "Kids. What was it? Drinkin'? Party on Deck 9? Little late night company?"

You roll up the sleeves of the coat, heading over to your table to continue work. "We're the same age, and none of the above. Just a dark night of the soul."

Doctor McCoy walks over to your table, looking at your work. "How far..." He trails off. "Ensign [Y/n]... your wrist?"

Without looking at him, you pull down your sleeves. "It's nothing. An accident."

When your eyes meet the Doctor's, his usual features of frustration are replaced with worry. "Look... I know I haven't been the most friendly guy. To be truthful, I've probably been downright mean... but if you need anythin', anythin' at all, I'm here." He places a gentle hand on your shoulder. "Don't hurt yourself, Darlin'."

You nod, grateful tears pricking your eyes.