VI. Linguistics | Uhura

You don't have the skills like Nyota Uhura; that's something you know thoroughly and well. She's made a point of telling you so every chance she got in the Academy. Not in a proud way, but in a playful, competitive way. You both had had a healthy struggle to win against the other since you joined.

It hurt your pride when you were having major trouble with Klingon dialects in your final year at the Academy. You had been struggling with the assignment for hours before it was due, no closer to finishing.

You knock on her quarters, careful not to wake any of the other students. A sleepy Uhura opens the door, looking quite sour by default. Her eyes brighten, turning confused as she sees it's you. "[Y/l/n]?" She rubs her eyes, leaning against the doorframe. "What time is it?"

"I don't remember actually," you admit, holding up a holo-pad with your assignment. "You can gloat tomorrow, but right now I need the person who is best at Klingon dialects."

A smug smile covers her face. "I'm the first you thought of?"

You sigh, knowing you'll never hear the end of this. "You're the only person."

Uhura takes your assignment, dragging you into her quarters. "Why, [Y/l/n], I'm flattered."

"Yeah, yeah. No need to fuel your ego. Where's your bunk-mate anyways?"

Uhura rolls her eyes. "Kirk. She won't be back until class tomorrow." She jumps onto the bed after having read what you'd handed her. "Have a seat! There's coffee in the cabinet, tea if you like that sort of thing like my bunk-mate. Donuts in the pantry. This assignment will take a little while, but we'll get it finished."

With exchanged smiles, you sigh in relief. "Thanks, Nyota. You're the best."