Chapter 3

Alex's POV

Word got around that James Reynolds was seriously threatened by Mr. Washington. Not only had he gotten a three week detention, but apparently, Washington had told the boy that if there was a report of one more slip up, he'd be out of the college, so hopefully, we wouldn't have to deal with him anymore. I really wish I could've been there though. It would have been fun to see.

I glanced at John for about the thirtieth time in under an hour. He was currently texting Lafayette and Hercules. However, I went back to staring at my laptop screen before he could notice. I wasn't really typing anything, but I had my hands moving over the keyboard to make it seem like I was busy. Usually, I would write nonstop, but today, I just couldn't think of anything to say. So I would just keep stealing glances at Laurens when he wasn't looking.

I had to admit, he was a gorgeous boy. His beautiful dark brown hair was almost always pulled up into a ponytail, much like my own. Those stunning hazel eyes took my breath away every time they met my chocolate ones. I could get lost in those eyes for hours. Of course, he may find that a bit creepy if I just started staring at his face.

To be honest, I felt different around John. I felt... safe. It was a foreign feeling though. I haven't felt safe like this since I was around twelve years old. I couldn't quite understand why I felt this way, but I liked the feeling. And I liked John. Maybe more. Oh my god, I thought. I'm in love with him, aren't I? I couldn't really say for sure. I hadn't been in love before, but I had a feeling that this was it. Then inspiration hit me, and I began to write.

Cold in my professions, warm in my friendships, I wish, my Dear Laurens, it might be in my power, by actions rather than words, to convince you that I love you. I continued to write until I was satisfied with the letter. Of course, I'd never show it to him, but it felt good to get it out of my system. I saved the document and opened a blank one right as John came over to talk to me.

"So what are you doing, Alex?" he asked in that perfect voice of his. A part of me wanted to share my own voice to him, but I just signed my response, as I always do.

"I'm just writing."

"What are you writing?" he questioned, sounding genuinely curious.

"I don't know yet. I just finished something else."

"And what was that about?" Damn it, John. Why do you have to be so curious?

"It was just a little journal entry." Yeah... let's go with that.

"Alright, well before you start anything else, it's midnight. Time for you to go to bed." I smiled a little. He was such a parent. Nodding, I shut the laptop and reluctantly handed it to John. He wouldn't let me have my laptop at night after he caught me up at four in the morning last night. Apparently, sleep was an important thing. He stood up and walked to his side of the dorm, and I crawled under my blanket. I didn't fall asleep right away though. Instead, I just lay there with my eyes closed, thinking.

I lost track of the time as my thoughts started to move towards the past week. Moving to America all the way to today. I thought about when I first stepped off of the boat and looking around at the bustling crowd, and how different it was from my home. I thought about how it felt to actually be in a new country, where I may someday make a difference. Next came the thoughts of arriving at the college. I had gotten lost, and someone named Samuel Seabury had shown me the important places like the dorms and the commons. He was a pretty nice kid, and didn't really care that I didn't say anything. Then came thinking about stepping into the dorm room for the first time and seeing John standing there. I had played it off as if I didn't even spare him a glance so that I could avoid a conversation, but that didn't really work out. And of course, I thought about meeting Jefferson, that stuck up son of a bitch, and how good it felt to show him that I am not to be underestimated. Then I was suddenly being shaken. I groggily opened my eyes to sunlight. Did I even sleep at all? I moved my head and saw John sitting on the other side of the bed.