Chapter 5

John’s POV

“... Maria… Reynolds?” Angelica was the first to speak, and it was obvious she was trying to keep from yelling.

“Um, yeah,” Peggy said, seeming to regret ever saying anything.

“Why bring up Maria Reynolds?” Eliza asked in the same tone as Angelica.

“Well… umm… you see…” Peggy rubbed her neck nervously.

“What?” Angelica and Eliza asked simultaneously.

“Uh, nothing. Look she’ll be able to help, and that’s all that matters. Right?”

“Yeah,” I said, not really understanding what was going on here. Luckily, the other guys seemed just as confused, so I wasn’t alone on this. “It doesn’t really matter who it is, as long as they can help, right?”

“Yeah. Yeah okay. But this conversation isn’t over, Peggy,” Eliza said.

Peggy nodded and gave me a grateful look. When the other two sisters left the room she spoke. “Thanks John. I don’t think I’m ready to tell them that I’m dating the girl they despise.”

“No problem. But why do they hate her anyways?”

“It’s a long story for another day.” And with that, the conversation was dropped. Peggy texted this mysterious “Maria Reynolds,” telling her to meet her at the dorm in ten minutes. In the meantime, I was talking to Laf and Herc.

“So why do you think the sisters hate this Maria figure?” Herc said.

“I really don’t know. They love just about everyone. She must have done something really bad,” I said.

“But if Peggy likes her, she may be misjudged,” Laf commented.

At that moment, there was a knock on the door, and Peggy squealed, running over to open it. Standing in the doorway, with a smile on her face, was a girl in a silky, blood red dress with matching lipstick. She had luscious curled brown locks flowing from her head. Her brown eyes lit up as she saw Peggy, and she threw herself into her arms, wrapping her own arms around the Schuyler Sister, placing a kiss on her cheek.

“So that’s Maria,” I said, more to myself than anything else.

“Maria! I missed you so much!” Peggy squealed.

“You saw me last class!” Maria laughed.

“Yeah, but I don’t get to see you a lot.”
“Do your sisters know yet?”

“No. They just know that we hang out so far.”

At that moment, Angelica came out and saw that she was here. A look like disgust crossed her face before plastering a smile as a replacement. “Maria Reynolds,” she said in a “friendly” voice. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“Peggy’s told me all about you guys. She’s showed me pictures and everything. Well,” she turned to Hamilton and Burr, “except for you two.”

“Oh! That’s Aaron Burr right there,” Peggy introduced, pointing to Burr. “And that’s Alexander Hamilton!”

I watched as she stuck her hand out for us to shake. Going around the group, she started with me and ended with Hamilton. She said something to him in a quiet voice, but whatever she said was unknown to me. However, Alex didn’t respond to her at all. As a matter of fact, he looked blank. Maria raised an eyebrow at getting no reaction and said “Are you alright?” Again, there was no reaction, though a pained look crossed his face before the blankness returned. Maria gave him a sad look before going back to stand at Peggy’s side.