Chapter 20

(John's POV)

Something was seriously wrong with Alex, but I couldn't find out what. Every time I tried to talk to him about it, he would just shut me out and go to his laptop, writing nonstop for hours. I was only getting really, really concerned about him. And then one day, he came back with a bloody nose and lip, claiming that he just tripped and fell. I knew from experience that it was just a huge lie. But I had had enough of the excuses. Call me overprotective, call me stalkerish, but I followed him to and from classes on one of the days I had off. Of course, he didn't know I was following, which is what made it a bit stalkerish.

And it was perfectly normal until his final class let out. Then, he was walking to the dorms. I had planned to sidetrack and get some coffee at the shop so I could say that's what I was doing, but then I saw Reynolds shove Alex to the ground. I frowned in both confusion and anger. What the hell? I thought Alex said he wasn't hurting him? Of course, I now realized that was a lie. I made my way forward, making whatever James was saying more clear.

"-bastard immigrant. You'll have to tell me eventually," he was saying. Immigrant? What? Was he talking about Alex? Or someone he knew?

"I already told you I don't know!" Alex signed timidly, already on the verge of tears.

"Yeah, bullshit!" Reynolds moved to kick him as I reached them, and I shoved him away from Alex.

"Leave him alone, asshole," I growled. "What the hell did he do to you?" I could've sworn I heard someone mumble something, but I just assumed it was my imagination as James just gave a sinister smile.

"Oh, look at that. The faggot's stepping up for his whoreson boyfriend. You really think you stand a chance against me?"

"Not really, but I figured I could try." I always seem to manage to stupidly put myself in the middle of a bad situation. I really need to stop doing that. Especially when I know I won't fight back. At least there wasn't a gun with this scenario.

"Well then you're stupider than you look."

"Awe, thanks. But are you just gonna spit insults all day?"

"Do you want to get beat up?"

"If it keeps you off of Alex, then yes." I smiled sweetly at him.

And so he started hitting me, but that was okay. Because it had taken the attention away from Alex, which was my goal. I took every hit without showing any signs of pain or wanting to fight back. I gave him nothing. After all, I've dealt with people like him, and people worse than him, so I knew exactly how to go about the situation. With no reaction. And, being used to taking beatings, I could do just that. "What, are you a fighter or a coward?" James taunted, trying to get me to fight him back. Oh, he wanted a challenge. Too bad for him.

I smiled again, kneeling on the ground. He really didn't scare me. "Coward. Any day." 

Clearly annoyed with my lack of fighting or responses, he kicked me a couple of times before walking away. Wow, he really doesn't like if you don't respond, does he? Though I will admit, he can throw a punch. It is quite possible that I blacked out, but that may just be because he had kicked me in the head just then. 

When I opened my eyes again, Alex was knelt over me, checking my injuries. I promise they weren't too severe. Maybe some bruising and broken skin, but nothing to be concerned about. Yet, Alex was. I don't think he noticed I was awake, because I heard something I never thought I'd hear.

"John, y-you idiot. Y-you need to st-stop doing that." Whoa, he sounded exactly like Turtle Alex... wait... Holy shit! I waited a moment, just to calm myself down from actually hearing his voice and figuring out he may have talked to me before before smiling softly.

"Yeah, I know." I heard him squeak and jump away from me. I knew he didn't expect me to hear that, but I did. And my god, his voice was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard. Seriously, call me cliche, but it was. I couldn't think of anything worthy enough to describe it. I didn't want him to stop talking. But of course, he signed:

"I didn't expect you to hear me..."

"Well I did. You don't have to hide your voice from me." I sat up and kissed his lips softly. He leaned into it a little before I pulled away. "Say something else," I said with a grin.

"I don't know. It's harder to do it when I know people are listening."

"Can you please try?" I begged.

He hesitated for a moment before leaning in and whispering in my ear. "John Laurens, I love you."

~~

WHAT? WHAT IS THIS? Okay guys, in all honesty, I was gonna update one of my other stories, but then I was like "Okay, but what if... what if John heard Alex talk?" and then this happened. Honestly, this chapter is trash BUT I WANTED ALEX TO TALK, OKAY? Honestly, I feel like I'm a reader when I'm writing this. Because I'll start hating a character (Like Reynolds. I'm half tempted to bring back JD.) or I'll get really into it and just be like "YAS MY CHILD!" and then I sit there like "I knew this was going to happen though... I'm writing it..." Does this make any sense to you? Probably not, but eh.

Anyway, I hope you liked the chapter. I might end the story soon, I haven't decided yet. Keep in mind, though, that "soon" could mean anywhere between 3 to 15 chapters, so don't worry. If I do decide to end it soon, it'll probably end up meaning a number like 8 or 10 chapters. Then probably an epilogue too. Okay, until next time, Mishamigos!

~MishaIsOurOverlord1