Chapter 12

Alex's POV

"Why didn't you tell me before?" she asked. I gave a pointed look. "Oh, right. Well, you still could've nodded your head or something."

"What's going on?" Peggy asked.

"Alex is-" I covered her mouth and shook my head. I didn't want anyone else knowing where I'm from.

"Alex is what?" Peggy raised an eyebrow. I gave Maria a pleading look as I took my hand away.

"Alex is scared of storms. Like me."

"Well, how about we put on a movie then? Drown out the rest of the storm." We both nodded, and Peggy put in a movie to distract us. We ended up watching The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast before the storm passed. In all honesty, those were the first two movies I've ever seen, and I was not disappointed.

Considering it was around four in the morning when the storm ended, both girls ended up just spending the night here. Which I didn't mind. It was nice to have the company, even if they were just sleeping. Of course, I went another night without sleep. But hey, that doesn't really matter. Sleep is for the weak anyway.

I changed my clothes at around seven, and waited for the girls to wake up. I ended up having to leave for class before they did, so I just let them sleep some more and left. I exited the dorm building, and it was still so wet outside. At least no flooding occured, though. I sighed and walked across campus to my first class for the day.

I saw Thomas on the way, and kind of ignored him. I still didn't trust him very much, despite him trying to talk sense into that Jason Dean character until he had turned the gun on him. He still had a part in the SDR. He still played a role. I just didn't know if I could believe what he was saying. Not after everything he's done. I didn't care if that had earned the trust of almost everyone else, it didn't gain mine. But who knows? He and Madison could have genuine intentions, like Burr did. Anyway, he didn't notice me, so I didn't have to worry about having him talk to me. I just walked to my mathematics class, giving a nod to Hercules, who had the class with me.

(Time Skip Because I Hate Math And I'm Still On Summer Break And Don't Want To Think About Class)

I went through all of my classes just like normal. History felt kind of weird without John there, though. But that didn't matter because now I got to see him. I mean, sure, he wouldn't be awake, but I could see him. So I walked to the hospital and to his room, sitting down beside his bed, just like before.

I made sure there was no one around before speaking. "S-so, I f-figured th-that I'd catch y-you up o-on h-history c-c-class, since I sh-share that w-with you." And so I quietly talked about the lesson that he missed, about how David Diggs, not to be confused with Daveed Diggs, came back to America after the war, and how he became Secretary of State. I'd fall silent whenever someone would pass by, but I only actually stopped talking when Aaron and Sam came in as well. And I fell into that routine. Every time I would visit him, I'd talk about history class, or, if we didn't have class that day, simply about the day. With each passing day, I found it a little easier to talk. John was like my own personal speech therapy. After about two and a half weeks, my voice felt a lot stronger, though I still stuttered a lot. It was kind of nice, I guess, talking without a fear of actually being heard. Of course, there was still the chance that John could hear me. But it's not like he'd recognize my voice.

Actually, not a lot happened in those two and a half weeks. The SDR didn't really bother us so much. Thomas and James would still hang out with them a lot, but they would hang around us as well, just not that often. I feel like they were slowly trying to gain our trust. I don't know. I just didn't feel like we could trust them. Well, okay, maybe James. He was a pretty nice guy. He just kind of followed Thomas everywhere. It was kind of cute. I decided I shipped that. But anyway, something about Jefferson just didn't seem trustworthy. But at the same time, he looked pretty honest and open around us. I don't know, I might just be paranoid.

Maria and I started hanging out a little. I started teaching her a little bit of sign language and she'd try and convince me to speak, which never worked. She never did tell anyone our secret, which I really appreciated. And that's basically the only things that really happened in that time period. It seemed so slow. So dull and boring. Though, it probably didn't help that in this time, I only slept for a total of thirteen hours. But I didn't care about that. I never did bother to actually care about myself very much. What was the point in doing that? I was just counting down the days until John could possibly wake up. I missed him a lot. I don't understand why. Maybe it was just a platonic missing your best friend. Maybe it was something more. But it didn't really matter. Because all I could do was wait.

~~

Okay this is a really really short chapter, but I'm sure you don't mind. This was basically a filler chapter because I needed time to pass. Because I don't really feel like writing three weeks of not much happening. But hey, y'all wanted a chapter, so here you go. I'll try and make the next chapter longer, and before school starts again, but I can't make any promises. So, that's about all I've got for you. If you have any questions, I'll probably answer them. Just ask. Sooooo, okay. Bye! See y'all in the next update!

~MishaIsOurOverlord1