Shut Up

Jonny's POV
      "Boy, stay back," Mrs.Garcia says to me when I get up. She comes over to me and sits on the deck in front. "You do know that I understand why your having such a set back in your academics," she says. My jaw clenches. Its a very small town, you do one small thing and it goes everywhere. Or in my case, you do one large thing and you become a heartless and monster.
    "I know. I'm trying to stay focused but it's hard right now," I say. She's the only teacher that doesn't judge.
    "I know you are, but I want you to pass this class. Your smart, you can pull through. This is just a rough patch, so I decided to take matters into my own hands," she says. I sit up straight. "Tutoring. I have a student, she's two years below you but graduating early. She's deathly smart and said she'd do it," she tells me.
    I can't help but laugh. "Did you tell her that it would be me she's tutoring?" I ask. She stays quiet, giving me my answer. "Once she sees who it is, she won't do it. I know how people view me in this hellish town."
     Mrs. Garcia crosses her arms over her chest. "Lucky for you, she probably doesn't even know. She's only been here two years and stays to herself. Just give it a chance," she says. I stand up and take the paper out if her hand that has the address of the tutors house.
    "How long?" I ask.
     "Just til this lesson is over," she says. I sigh and close eyes eyes for a second. "And this won't cut into your court dates cause it doesn't matter when you do it, just as long as you do it. Make sure its three days a week, four if  necessary. And I know that you don't feel comfortable asking questions all the time, well most of the time, so I really encourage you ask questions until you understand what your learning,"  she says. I nod.
    "Okay," I say and start towards the door.
     "Oh, and one more thing," she calls. I turn around. "Be nice to her. She's different." She better be.
     ××××××××
         I take out bowls to make dinner. My mom, her husband, and step brother walk in. My mom gives me a gentle smile. "You know I'll cook. You must be exhausted," she says. 
      "When's your next court date?" Alex says when I sit down across from him. My mom remarried to him a year after my father...died. I'd rather day died instead of what really happened.
    "Saturday at five," I say. He nods. Zeke comes over and sits next to his father.
     "So, are you going to do what the teacher said?" My mom asks. I look down at the callouses of my hands.
     "Yeah. I want to graduate," I say. My mom chops up the lettuce while she looks at me real quick. Zeke rolls his eyes at me. "What the hell is your problem now?" I ask. Him and I have never gotten  along.
    "Its not like you do what you want to. Be a police officer. They check your record," he says. I lean on my elbows.
    "That's why I'm doing all this court shit. They said that if I follow through with everything I'll be able too," i say. Again, he rolls his eyes at me. "At least I have something planned."
       ××××××××
      I walk inside the house and hang my leather jacket up. My mom comes out from the corner, making me jump back. She's been going to sleep late lately. I duck my head down so she can't see me.
     "You didn't, please tell me you didn't," she says. She tries lifting my head up so she can see me. I flinch away. She sees my face thanks to the damn light. "Why are you still doing this?" She hates that I do Street Fights.
     "Mom, you don't understand. Your lucky I do this. If I didn't, you would have a son that's constantly angry and needing to punch something." She sighs and sits down on the couch.
     "I love you, and what you did that night doesn't change that. You had no choice. There was no stopping him and I wouldn't of been able to live with the fact you died. If anything I'm grateful," she says.
     "That's just great. Your grateful that your son killed his father and your ex husband. Spectacular."

AN: I have nothing to say. What do you think is going to be Jonny's first reaction when he sees Ember for the first time? Stay alive |-/   -Veah