Chapter 12

-Shark's pov

   I was drying my hair with a spare towel when we heard Cathy scream. Immediately I dropped the towel and ran to the direction of the sound. When I got there, Nick was lying on his side on the forest floor with his fire axe leaning against a tree stump nearby. Cathy, on the other hand, was nowhere to be seen. 

   "Nick! Are you okay?" I asked while turning him around a bit. He had blood trickling from the side of his head and a long cut on his cheek. I heard him groan lightly before he opened his eyes. 

  "Hey dude, come on. Are you okay?" I asked again.

  "They're back. He's back. They got her." he said before falling unconscious. I felt his pulse. It was weak but his breaths were long and deep. 

  "What happened?!"

  It was Ghetto followed by the others. Red was at the end of the group because of his limp but was able to keep up to the guys. 

  "They were attacked. When I got here it was all like this. Nick said about someone being back. That they took Cathy. "

  "How is he?" Monroe asked. 

  "Unconscious with his pulse weak."

  "We gots to gets hims to the house."

  "Let's go. We need to attend his injuries. Do we take turns carrying him or do we improvise and make a stretcher to carry him?" Red suggested. 

  "I think we should improvise. Two people carrying him will be quicker. Come on. We could use the towels and some long branches. " I said. 

  We all split up. Barney, Sabre, and Ghetto went back to where we were drying off to get the towels while Monroe, Red, and I stayed behind to take care of Nick and also find long sturdy branches. I only had a small switch blade. Nick was the only one who brought an axe so I had to use it. When I got it, though, I noticed a strange marking in the trunk of the tree stump. It was a sort of quickly made S mark. I called Monroe and Red to take a look at it. 

  "What is it?" Red asked when he saw it. 

  "Oh no. Guys this is bad." Monroe said when he saw it. 

  "Why?"

  "The strangers. They attacked Nick and Cathy. "

  "Who? "

  "The strangers. They had attacked my former group."

  I looked back to where we had Nick leaning on a tree. I grabbed his axe and noticed a bit of blood on the edge and on the handle. 

  "Yeah. I believe you. Look. "

  Monroe and Red took a look at the axe. Then Red got some blood from the blade with his finger and brought it up to his nose. He took a quick sniff before tasting it. 

  "Definitely not Nick's. His has a better taste." 

  "Two things. Number one: What the heck?! And number two: how do you know that?" I asked. 

  "Remember, I'm a cannibal and I've actually tasted Nick's blood before. That's why I always taunted his about his taste when I would capture him. "

  "Wait. You are a cannibal?" Monroe asked kind of surprised. 

  "It's an eat or be eaten world, you know." Red replied. 

  "Let's just focus on getting the branches for now. Don't really want to be reminded of the old days." I said. 

  Red then just shrugged and began looking around for thick branches. Eventually we found some just when the others were coming back. We quickly got to work and in a couple of minutes we were done. Carefully, Ghetto and I put Nick on the stretcher. Once we were ready, we headed back to the cabin. 

-Shelby's pov

  We have been walking for about a couple of days already. So far we've been doing okay as with supplies and food. The thing is that we still haven't seen anyone else. Professor X and I are staying in an abandoned house in a small town for now. I was on watch when I heard a lot of noise a bit down the street. I went downstairs and peeked through the window. The shadows of some zombies were banging on a door. It was about three or four of them. With all the noise they were making, a whole hoard could come. I quietly went outside and sneaked up behind the zombies. Easy kills. But why were they banging that door? I begin walking back to the house when I hear the door creak open. 

  "W-who's there?"

  I turn back around to see a young girl peeking out of the door. She was kinda short with long brown hair and glasses. She was holding a small pocket knife and could partly see the straps of a backpack on her shoulders. 

  "Don't worry. I won't hurt you. Are you hurt or something? " I asked. 

  She came out better into the light and I saw that she was a teen. She looked about fifteen or sixteen. I wonder how she survived for so long. 

  "I'm Janice. What's your name?" she said. 

  "Shelby. Do you need help? "

  "It was just the zombies. If I couldn't take out one easily with this knife how would I take out four?"

  "We'll, maybe we could be safer if we team up. Three is better than one. "

  "There is someone else with you? "

  "Yeah. Want to come stay for the night? "

  "Okay I guess. Thanks."

  We went back to the house I presented Janice to Professor X. When I presented the professor to Janice though, I presented him as Xavier just to be safe. He had taken off his lab coat, so it seemed more like he wasn't a scientist and just a really nerdy guy. 

  "Do you want me to take a shift now so you could rest, Shelby?" the professor asked me. 

  "It's okay. You sleep at least a couple hours more. We need to get moving about one or two hours after sunrise. " I replied. 

  "You don't have a place to stay in?" Janice asked. 

  "Umm... Not yet. The last one was destroyed. Why? "

  "I have a safe place where I'm from. I was out on a supply run since we needed ammo and guns. "

  "How far is it? "

  "About one or two days walk from here."

  "Okay. I'll think about it. "

  Janice just nodded then settled down on a couch. I went outside to the hallway and began looking out the window. Maybe she is good. Maybe she is with Ross. There's only one way to find out. 

  -Why have my chapters gotten longer now?! And in case you still haven't noticed, there was no 「Cathy's pov」this time. Explanation in a bit. Thanks for being patient with me and hopefully you all had a good time lately while you've waited. 

-🐴