Chapter 17

- Shelby's pov

"So we are going to use their rooms? Wouldn't they be upset if they see us?" I aksed Janice as she told us where we would sleep.

"Nah. Nicky might be a little bothered but nothing else." Janice said.

"And how do you know that she won't get upset?" Xavier asked. To be honest, he has a good point.

"She has a suprisingly good patience. 'Years of practice' she calls it."

"Well let's hope that is true."

"I know it's true. Now, Shelby, you will be sleeping in the room to the right. Xavier, you will sleep on the room to the left. The restroom is down the hall second door to the left. My room is across from the restroom if you ever happen to not find me anywhere else."

"Thank you."

And with that, Xavier and I went to our rooms. The room that I got was a little messy and disorganized. The bed and majority of the floor were cleared of the mess, though.

"Sorry for the mess. I'm always telling Nicole to pick up but she procasinates a lot." Janice said as she entered the room.

"It's okay. It's bearable at least."

"I guess. So.... where are you both from? Do you come from the city or from somewhere else?"

"Well we actually came from the CDC."

"So your from that group. We used to go near there a lot to look for supplies and every once in a while the girls would go to help clean up from hoards. In exchange, they were taught basic medical skills that they later came back with to teach us."

"I never knew that there were other girls going in there."

"I've gone there once before. It actually got pretty bad. There was what Natassha described as a war going on a few months back. Things got pretty nasty and the marines got knocked down. It was terrible. None of us have returned to that side of Atlanta ever since."

"How long ago was it?"

"It was about seven months ago. Although we heard a rumor that the CDC might actually be down this time. Is it true?"

I thought about what to say. I had heard that the CDC had been attacked once before by Red's army from some of the soldiers that had survived the first attack during my shifts. If I told her it wasn't true, she'd probably ask why we were gone from it. But if I told her the truth...

The sudden sound of an airhorn makes me and Janice jump, Janice drawing a Glock she got in the morning. A second later there is the sound of gunshots in the distance.

"What the heck...? You and X stay here. I'll see whats going on." said Janice before leaving.

I went to check on the professor after she left. I noticed that he had been writing some notes and equations in a notepad he kept before leaving behind his lab coat. He had gotten spooked by the horn but just seemed curious as to what was going on.

"It's intresting, right? They have a different defence strategy than what I saw the day Red attacked us and afterwards the other strange people." Xavier said while looking out the window. "Capable fighters don't go all in the same direction but try to find ways to flank them while children and the elderly seek refuge. What do you think of this, Shelby?"

"It's actually similar to one of the defences that we used when we would get attacked. The only difference is that we would also find a way to corner them."