Chapter Five

Chapter Five

            “Wendy, come on!  I know you can waltz, you’re just pretending that you can’t,” Celina said.

            “I honestly can’t dance!” I responded.  “Oops, sorry Dora!”

            Six weeks had passed since my first day at Miss Primrose’s Finishing School.  Celina and Theodora were trying to help me practice my dancing for the school’s midterm ball.

            Theodora winced.  “It’s alright Wendy,” she said.  “Just, try not to tread on your partner’s toes.  It’s quite uncomfortable.”

            “What is Mr. Leland going to think of you when he sees you tromping around the ballroom like an elephant?” Celina asked.

            “I’m not that bad,” I protested and Theodora spun me under her arm.  “Besides, what does Mr. Leland have anything to do with this?”

            “Oh, I don’t know, perhaps because he’s asked you to dine with him every night since you’ve been here?” Celina said.

            “Yes, well, Mr. Beech has asked Blair to dinner every night as well,” I said.  “It’s simply common courtesy.”

            “Don’t be ridiculous,” Celina said.  “I’ve seen the way he looks at you.”

            “Oh?” I said.

            “He’s madly in love with you,” Celina said triumphantly.

            “Well, that is something else,” I said.  “I don’t return the feeling.”

            “Wendy!” Celina said.  “What’s wrong with him?  He has land, money, and he’s quite good looking, if I do say so myself.  He would be a perfect husband for you!”

            “Well, I don’t love him back,” I said.  “Come on Dora, I’ve got to stop dancing.”

            “Gladly,” Theodora said.  “You should just try to avoid men, so that you don’t have to get on the ballroom floor.”

            “Dora!” Celina said, sounding scandalized.  “That is an absolutely-”

            “Truthful thing to say,” I interrupted.  “It’s no use, Celina.  I simply cannot be made to dance.  You ought to run upstairs and open that package from your mother.  Don’t think I didn’t see that very large box on your bed with your mother’s handwriting on it.”

            Celina sighed.  “Come, Dora, let’s open the package.  Wendy can stay down here and practice on her own.”

            “Are you alright on your own Wendy?” Theodora asked me.

            “Quite,” I said with a smile.  “You go on and open it with her.  And don’t let her eat all the candy she’s been sent.  If she does, she won’t be able to fit into her brand-new ball dress with the very tiny waist.”

            “You’re just jealous of that dress,” Celina retorted.

            “It’s a very nice dress,” I stated.  It was true; Celina’s deep orange dress did look very lovely on her. 

            “Come on Theodora,” Celina said.  “I can’t stand to be in her presence anymore.”  She walked from the room, Theodora behind her.