Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

            “Swords at the ready,” I said.  “You must be prepared to fight.  The shadow can’t be killed by a regular blade, but I have reason to believe that it can cause it pain, especially if the blade has traces of gold in it.”

            I was willing to bet all my money that every boy in the room doubted me, but I didn’t care.  I was ready to end this damn panic.  And the best way to do that was to train the boys for war.

            “Who’s first?” I asked.

            Edward sprang forward from the line of boys and swung hard.  I parried and then re-struck with all my strength.  Edward’s grip on the sword was too low, and it clattered to the ground.

            “Hold the hilt higher,” I said as he bent to pick it up.  “It will give you better stability.”

            Percy stepped forward, his face set.  He stood there, sword ready, knees bent, his posture perfect.  “Taking the defence,” I said, smiling.  “Good.”

            He continued to stand before me.  I grinned.  Finally, something fun.  Two can play at that game.

            We stood like that for several minutes.  I could practically feel Percy’s confidence weaken.  Finally, he attacked me.  Spinning a swirl of steel, our swords flashed.  Percy’s fight was the longest, but after a time I unarmed him. 

            “What did I do wrong?” Percy asked, breathing heavily.

            I gasped in a few breaths before answering.  “Nothing,” I said.  “I just outworked you.”

            Percy looked angry.  “Well, what do I do?” he asked.

            “Outwork me.”

            “How?”

            I sheathed my sword.  “Practice,” I said.  “Next.”

            One by one, I worked with every boy, instructing them and demolishing any self confidence they might have had.  Finally, Slightly came up.

            “I hope you’re ready to lose,” he said.

            “Let’s see what you make of me,” I said, raising an eyebrow.

            Slightly rushed for me and swung fiercely.  Granted, he did a better job than last time we’d fought, but he was still too wild.  I swung my sword and jumped away as Slightly swung again.  He missed me and I pushed my sword into the empty space next to his stomach.

            “Control your power,” I said.  “And your anger.”

            Slightly scowled and looked ready to murder.  “Alright, boys, break time,” James yelled, and I sat on a stump that served as a chair, exhausted.

            “How are you doing?” James asked.

            “Good, thanks,” I responded.

            “Are you sure?”

            “Yes, James, I am just dandy,” I said.  “How’s Peter?”

            James looked at me.  “He’s a bit agitated, actually,” he said.  “Any idea why?”

            “Nope,” I said, standing up and brushing my clothes off.  I’d finally cut the skirt off my green dress, making it a tunic.  It was easier to move in that and trousers.