2. Stargazing

D E L I L A H

I gasped as my foot slipped, but a hand grabbed mine and steadied me.

I looked up to see Pacey with a smile playing on his lips.

I thanked him quietly before stepping onto the small boat, "Is this yours?" I asked, noticing our hands still hanging together.

"Uh, yeah- well, technically it's my fathers but he's out of town this weekend." He regained his thoughts and left my side, untying and tying ropes as we slowly started to leave the docks.

"Will he be mad?" I asked and he shrugged, "Eh, damned if I do, damned if I don't." He said and I chuckled lightly.

"I know the feeling." I sighed, agreeing with him.

I hugged my hoodie close to my body as the sun started to drop- almost a week has gone by and I finally have some free time to go star gazing with my new best friend.

"So, I believe I the perfect spot to look at the stars. It's just about a mile and a half out." He assured me as he steered the boat.

I nodded, sitting down on the built-in bench.

The sun went down as we made small talk about the restaurant my family was about to open before we reached the spot, we dropped anchor so we didn't drift to sea.

"I have the best idea in the world." Pacey spoke excitedly, I gave him a curious look before he went below deck and then came back onto the main deck, with a blanket in his arms.

"You've come prepared, Witter." I smirked.

"You can never be too prepared." He smiled and I chuckled.

He laid it down before we both sat on it, I sighed before laying on my back, my hands resting on my stomach.

"So, I've heard some gossip around the school." I said as Pacey slowly laid down too, a foot away from me.

"Oh, this'll be good." He chuckled and I smiled, "You're turning 16 tomorrow." I turned my head and looked over at him.

"And my friends are too busy to even care." He said and I gave him a curious look.

"You mean the love triangle that is Joey, Dawson and Jen?" I joked, "Exactly. You've lived here a week and you already see it." He sighed as he rested his hands behind his head.

"I'm sorry they forgot, there's nothing like the feeling of being forgotten." I spoke softly as I looked back up at the stars- and Pacey was right, it was the perfect stargazing spot.

"Anyone who's forgotten you has missed out. Who could forget you?" He said as he looked over at me.

"My dad. I wasn't forgotten in the beginning- he just left." I shrugged.

"It's gotta be better than having a father who after I failed a test, says to my older brother- 'At least I have you.'" He said and I sucked in sharply.

"Exactly. You get it. The abandonment, the disappointment and the disappearance of that father figure." "Trust me, Witter, I know." I sighed.

"Yeah, I wish no one knew how it felt." He said and I lightly smiled over at him.

"You're a good guy, Pacey." I said before looking back up at the stars.

"Yeah, well, don't tell anyone. I've got a reputation to uphold." He said and I chuckled.

I closed my eyes for a second, "So, are you free tomorrow?" He asked and I smiled before I turned my head to look at him.

"I'm kind of thinking about having a party on the docks, a birthday party." He said and I nodded.

"I'm in." I smiled and relief washed over his face.

--

I woke up to subtle rocking, I opened my eyes and slowly sat up as the sun arose from the sea.

I smiled as I remembered talking for hours with Pacey under the stars.

About our families, ourselves and of course I told him about my dog - Akela - a husky with one blue eye and one brown.

"Morning, beautiful." Pacey sat next to me, still on the blanket he laid out.

I thanked him as he handed me a cup of water, "My family is probably curious as to where I've been all night." I chuckled because my family was so nosy but I loved them to pieces.

"Yeah, I'll probably be grounded for weeks to come." Pacey sighed.

I gasped loudly as I perked up, he asked me what was wrong.

"Happy Birthday!" I shouted happily.

His smile was infectious as he chuckled, "Thanks, Young."

"We should head back- or else I'll get another failing grade." He joked as we stood on the boat.

"What are you failing?" I asked, folding up the blanket as he started up the boat.

"History, Algebra and English." He sighed, "I can help you out- be your tutor." I offered as I sat in the first hands seat.

"Is there a catch? A favor for a favor?" He glanced at me.

"You know, Pacey, friends help each other out without asking for anything in return." I chuckled.

"Oh, come on. I'll feel better if I do something for you." He said and I hummed, thinking.

"Fine. You take me out to this spot when I want to stargaze." I smirked and he smiled widely, "Deal." He said and we shook on it.