3. Sweet 16

D E L I L A H

"Hey." I smiled up at Pacey as I walked up to him, standing on the grass near the docks with his party in full swing.

"What's wrong?" My smile faded once I noticed his distraught look.

"It's just-- Dawson.." He sighed heavily.

"Say no more." I sighed, "I'm sorry, Pacey." I spoke sincerely because your sweet 16 was supposed to be magical.

"On my 16th birthday my brother got shot when he was overseas.." I scoffed lightly, "Sweet 16's, right?" I said with a small smile.

"Sweet 16's.. Hey, do you wanna get out of here?" He asked and I lightly tilted my head.

"We deserve better." He smiled.

"Yes, we do." I agreed with him as I nodded.

We started walking away from the docks, towards my little blue jeep.

We brainstormed for a few minutes before I saw my sisters little pickup truck pull up quickly as we neared my jeep.

Holland jumped out of her car and ran to me, we were far enough away so the party wasn't disturbed or interested in my frantic sister.

"Delilah, come quick--" "What's wrong?" I asked with my heart racing.

"It's Duke- he was in a car accident." She said with red eyes.

I inhaled sharply before looking over at Pacey, "I'm coming." He spoke to me, "We'll meet you there." I promised my sister before I drove quickly to the General Hospital.

We arrived, Holland close behind us as we ran into the ICU unit.

We ran down the halls and saw my mom standing and talking to a doctor outside of one of the waiting rooms.

We slowed down as my mom started shaking her head, she covered her mouth as she sobbed.

We seemed to get there in slow motion, "Mom, mom- what's going on?" I whispered with a wavering voice.

She shook her head as she cried violently, and just like that: my brother-- my hero was gone.

I gasped for air as I put my hand over my heart, I couldn't breathe.

I felt someone hold my shoulders as a panic attack creeped around the corner, "Delilah, hey, hey." I looked up to see the sweetest pair of eyes looking down at me.

"Focus on my voice, ok? Just breathe and listen to me." Pacey soothed me, miraculously saving me from a panic attack.

He pulled me into his chest as I shook with sobs, my whole body felt like it was shutting down.

--

P A C E Y

"No one knows why God takes the people we love the most away from us. Especially someone so young and full of life." The preacher spoke in front of the small crowd of civilians with a larger group of Navy SEALS taking up most of the space on the grounds of the graveyard.

His voice faded away as I looked at the sad, blue eyed girl.

She held my hand tightly as I stood in the front row with her and her family along with Duke's fiancée, Aliza, who stood with their mom, in her camo uniform.

Even she cried violently, a woman of steel was broken by the death of this man.

I noticed Delilah fumbling with something that hung on her neck, it was Duke's dog tags..

I closed my eyes as I exhaled slowly.

I pulled her close to me, she bunched up my new black suit in her hands, falling into my chest as she cried.

Who knew I could have this kind of connection with someone I've know for just over a week..

The preacher finished his prayer and they started to lower Duke's dark red casket with the American flag folded over his chest.

They opened the floor to anyone who wanted to say a few words about the war hero.

A few of his fellow SEALs spoke before Delilah let go of my hand and walked up, in front of the whole crowd.

"I'm Delilah Young, Duke's youngest sister. And his biggest fan." She sniffled before lightly smiling.

"As all of you know, Duke was no ordinary soldier. He would sacrifice himself for another living thing in a heartbeat." She sighed heavily, and I wanted nothing more than to take every ounce of pain she felt.

"I-I honestly don't know how to start because I have a very short amount of time to make everyone realize that Duke was one of the best human beings to ever walk this earth." She said sniffling.

"For instance, Aliza moved here and was new and Duke went up to her on the second day and these were his exact words, 'I heard them calling you names, and people think I'm odd too, so I know how it feels to be different, and I know how lonely that can be.'" She said with tears falling freely.

"He made everybody, feel like somebody. And I can't even imagine how many lives he's saved, just with his kindness. He made me want to love more, and I wish he knew that." She paused as she wiped her eyes.

"He actually told me, 'When I die, and if you live past me, I want you to do my eulogy, but you have to mention how much I love my family, because I could've gotten in a fight with one of them before I died and no matter how bad the fight was, I still love them all more than anything. And I think they should hear it one more time, incase we left things broken. I don't want to leave anything broken.'" She said as she covered her mouth to cry.

"I guess that's all I have to say, other than I miss him.." She sighed, "There's actually one more thing.. He used to tell me to have courage and be kind. Words we can all live by." She said with a small smile before walking back towards me.

Her mom and sister engulfed her before she could fall to her knees.

Aliza- Duke's Fiancée sobbed as she doubled over.

Delilah stood up straight and walked over to me, she glanced over her shoulder before she hugged me close to her.

"He's here.." She whispered.

"Duke?" I asked quietly, thinking maybe she senses his presence, she looked up at me and lightly shook her head, "My dad." She breathed with her voice shaking.