8. Cold wind

D E L I L A H

"I don't want to sound cliche, but today is so beautiful." I gushed as I walked hand in hand with Pacey down the sidewalks of Capeside.

Mini malls and locally owned shops at every corner.

"It is, it's beautiful. Like you." He said and I started laughing, because seriously, he was so cheesy sometimes but it's just another thing I loved about him.

"Pacey?" Someone spoke and we both looked away from one another's eyes to see an older blonde lady standing in front of us.

"Ta-- Miss Webber." Pacey corrected himself.

I had like two classes with her when I first got here but I've never thought anything of her.

"Wow, you've grown." She smiled and he returned the favor.

"Uh, I'm sorry, I'm Miss Webber, Pacey's old teacher." She introduced herself because Pacey was too gob-smacked to introduce me.

"Delilah Young." I used my free hand to shake hers, "Well, I'll leave you two to enjoy your evening. It was good seeing you Pacey, and nice to meet you." She said nodding at me and I slowly nodded.

I looked up at Pacey after she left, "I-I have to go study, I-I-I'll see you tomorrow." I stammered, knowing something was amiss.

-

I heard a knock on my door and I walked over and opened it in my shorts and sweatshirt.

"Pacey, its late. What are you doing here-" "I think we should take a break, because I need time to think." He interrupted me, I was taken back because I thought we were good.

"Your-you're breaking up with me?" I stammered.

He slowly nodded, my chest rise and fell heavily as I wiped away a quick runaway tear.

"Okay." I cleared my throat.

"Okay." I whispered.

"I-I'll see you at school, then.." I spoke awkwardly since this breakup caught me off guard.

He slowly nodded, he looked like he held his tongue as he turned away from me, I closed my door.

"Did I hear Pacey come by?" My mom chimed happily popping in, "Uh, no. Just some, uh, Mormons." I lied and she nodded, not being able to tell I was dying inside.

--

I closed my locker, putting away my books for the day, "Hey, have you seen Pacey today?" Dawson said coming up to me.

"Uh, no, I haven't. You haven't?" I asked and he shook his head as we started walking towards the exit.

He shook his head, "He's probably laying low with Tamara in town." He shrugged.

"Tamara? Miss Webber?" I asked and he nodded.

"Yeah, you must know what it's like when you run into an ex." He sighed, I was taken back but I tried not to show it too much.