10. Friends

D E L I L A H

"It's healing, I swear. And I like I said, I ran into a branch on my way home from school." I informed Jen who kept poking at my stitches.

I pushed her hand away, laughing as I sat at the lunch table with her and Jack.

"Jack, you and I have a shift together tonight. I'll teach you how to mop." I laughed because he has never really done any kind of chores.

He nodded with a smirk, "It's a date." He joked, although he has been flirtatious with me as of lately.

The rumor of Timmy and I was distinguished by my best friend Jen, who had the guts to start a rumor herself.

"Hey, uh, do you have a date to the homecoming dance?" Jack asked awkwardly, I waited for Jen to answer until I looked up from my crappy cafeteria food.

"Me?" I asked, some surprise laced in my voice.

He slowly nodded as Jen giggled, "Uh, I'm not sure if I'm going." I sighed, "Dances aren't my thing." I lightly shrugged.

"Oh, come on. If I'm going, you have to come." Jen whined.

"I-I'll think about it." I smiled, "And if I do go, you two will be the first to know." I said looking up at Jack and Jen.

--

"Hey." I heard someone walk up to me, "Uh, hey." I said glancing at Pacey who I haven't really talked to since I blew up on him.

I closed my locker and he cleared his throat, "Can I walk you out?" He asked and I slowly nodded, unsure of what this was about.

"First of all, I'm sorry.. I shouldn't have believed the rumors started by that dick.." He said and I shrugged, accepting the apology.

"I, uh, want to be friends. I want to be able to talk to you, as a friend." He explained, although he gave me mixed signals as he lightly touched my arm before retracting it quickly.

"Okay.. friends." I assured him.

"But, I, uh," He chuckled as we both opened the doors, leading out of the school, "Actually have some ground rules." He said and I gave him a weird look.

"Okay?" I chuckled.

"Like that, no laughing like that. It's too cute." He said and I giggled, "You need to laugh annoyingly.." He smiled and I cackled, he chuckled.

"Still cute." He shrugged, "Fine, I have a ground rule." I smirked.

"No calling me beautiful." I said and he looked over at me, his green eyes glancing at my lips.

He slowly nodded before I itched my nose like a chipmunk, "Uh-oh. I have a new one." He laughed and I looked up at him, enjoying this game.

"No this-- none of it." He said as he itched his nose daintily.

I laughed, "What? I'm getting a cold." I said before itching my nose.

"Wow, you just spit on two of my rules." He smirked and I slightly shook my head.

"Hey, Delilah, you ready?" I looked away from Pacey to see Jack waiting beside my Jeep.