Thirty-Three

[Everyone, just stop what you're doing and check out these covers made by a beautiful anonymous reader😭😭😭💗💗 They are so gorgeous, I think I fell in love 💗]

Callath

The Mihr hunters had been his responsibility.

Growling to himself as he stalked down the hall, Callath clenched his fists and gritted his teeth, bit his tongue until he tasted blood.

Dohmenic would blame himself, but the truth was, the security had been Callath's responsibility. Because he had allowed himself to get weakened and passed out like a weakling at the beach after letting his Mihrisa feed on his vein, this had happened. The Lady Kahtrina's blood was on his hands and there was nobody else to blame. He had failed his King and now he had failed his kingdom.

A promise he had made to the Dralan to never do again.

And now, here he was.

Callath stopped up for a moment and put a hand on the hallway wall, taking one moment to try and make the world stop shaking. It weighed down on him, the reality, the cruelty. The truth.

All his fault. All of it. He had caused it. Phlague may have started it, but it was his job to fight it and he hadn't. He had let himself get weakened and let the Dralan's potential candidate get captured. Lady Kahtrina.

He couldn't stand to think about what horrors she was currently facing... what torture she was suffering under... The thought was enough to make his usually strong stomach roll, but this was different. He knew the victim personally this time, that always changed the game. He could only imagine what Dohmenic was feeling right now - not to mention her parents. Sweet Miss.

Shaking his head to clear it, he took a deep breath to focus and then continued his path down the hall. He had to focus.

But a voice inside his head... a tiny, despicable voice inside him kept telling him... at least it wasn't his Mihrisa. But what a horrible thought that was. Logistically speaking, it would've been better if it had been her. If she had been taken, if she was facing the brutal future...

But Callath was also smart enough to know that sometimes, logistics didn't have any logic. He knew more than ever - especially after this morning - that the Mihrisa meant more to the Dralan than the Lady Kahtrina. Had she been taken, chaos would've broken loose and the whole of Drala would've been at war before noon. For some reason, that female had grown an impact on the Dralan - on his mind. He looked all the same, walked all the same, talked all the same... yet something inside him was changing.

- And it was the Mihrisa who was doing it.

Whether that 'something' was turning into a good thing or a bad thing was yet to be determined, but Callath knew that no matter what, the female meant a whole lot more to the Dralan than what he admitted. Had she been the one missing, the true power of his wrath would've exploded and maybe even grounded the whole fort. At least so far, he had been keeping it together - as much as a pureblooded vampire King could, anyway.

Callath was on his way back from having doled out the order Dohmenic had given him; Find the Lady Kahtrina and bring her back alive. The Lahras had marched out not half an hour later, having geared up and prepared themselves for the hunt. This wouldn't end until she was found.