Johnny X Dally

A Soft Sunset

Warnings: Fluff and drinking. Not really detailed about the drinking though.
~~~

Johnny's P.O.V.

Perfectly rounded waves were ruffling the sea. The green and blue water rushed in and receded back into the great big sea. Some people were out in the waves surfing and others were laid on towels tanning.

The gang had their snacks and towels tucked under their arms. I twiddled with the cap of a Pepsi bottle I had. I wasn't nervous or anything, just lost in thought. The entire gang had been crammed in one car for a few hours and we were very excited about visiting a real beach.

The ocean was right there and it was an exciting experience. A hand clapped against my back and I jumped.

"Nothing's gonna get you here, Johnnycakes. You can relax," Soda's gentle voice assured me. I wasn't scared, Soda's hand had just jerked me out of my thoughts too quickly. I nodded anyway. No need to correct him on a nice day.

Soda grinned and walked on ahead to catch up with Steve. Darry was walking in the back and looking around for a spot to group up. We had discussed stuff to do on the beach while in the car, but I doubted if anyone listened much. Pony had been looking out of the window, Dally had gone to sleep, Soda had shotgun with Two-Bit, and Darry had been in the back trying to make sure Steve was paying attention while driving. Steve hadn't been that pleased with Darry but did seem to listen anyway.

Ponyboy fell in step with me as Darry found a nice place to lay the towels. Sure, it was cheesy but wanted a spot together. It probably wasn't gonna stay that way with all the people on the beach.

Soda nudged Steve and pointed down the beach towards some girls. They talked for a minute about something, they seemed pretty excited about whatever it was. Probably something to do with the girls.

Pony started toward the water and Two-Bit seemed to follow him. We were breaking off into pairs and heading in different directions. I saw an ice-cream cart not too far from where we were and stuck my hand into my pocket. I had some money. Ice-cream wouldn't be so bad on a hot day.

Dally must have noticed what I was thinking and looped his arm over my shoulder and started walking with me. He already had a cigarette between his lips and was taking a drag.

We walking in silence and every now and then Dally's eyes would follow some chick as she walked away.

"You know, we could score some if we just go after the right ones. How's it sound?" Dally looked down at me and raised only one side of his mouth. It sent a really strange feeling through my body.

"Naw. It's a nice day, Dal. Can't we just swim or somethin'?" I asked. I had on a white tank top and shorts. The rest of the guys all wore shorts, except for Darry, Soda, and Steve. Somehow I still felt too hot for the shirt. Ice-cream should help cool me off and there was always an ocean to help, too.

"Alright, come on." Dally pulled me forward and we arrived at the cart and got an ice cream for ourselves and one for Darry since he didn't seem to be doing anything.

Dally handed Darry a strawberry ice cream and he took it happily. I sat down on my towel and crossed my legs.

Dally walked off towards some girl in a bikini and I was sat with Darry. That is until he left me sitting on a towel. I finished my ice cream cone and got up to go swimming. I could hear Soda and Steve down the beach talking. Pony and Two-Bit were tossing a football while in the water.

Darry had just disappeared. Dally was messing with a pretty girl a couple towels down. I chuckled and headed for the water.

It wasn't too cold and seemed really clear despite everyone kicking up sand below it. I swam under the water for a few feet before sneaking up behind Pony. He gave a startled gasp and even stumbled forward when I grabbed his ankle underwater.