Entire Group (1)

Happy Ever After

Trigger-warnings- Basic book stuff. I kill every character in this one, so please read with caution. Major character deaths- they're just happy though so it isn't cruel? Enjoy and keep the warning in mind!

~~~

Rings of smoke were being pushed out. Johnny sat on the crumbling porch and looked out at the setting sun. Ponyboy had changed the way he saw the sky while the sun was falling. He noticed all the different colors, now. The way the clouds would shape themselves, it was all beautiful. It was gold.

Johnny hadn't been there for long, he'd only just woke up. He'd woken up and walked to the Curtis house before trying to find anyone.

He knew what happened to him, he remembered everything. Where he was, he had no idea, but it was nice. He hadn't seen anyone yet, but he wasn't really looking either. Johnny was sitting on the porch steps, smoking a cigarette.

"Stay gold, Ponyboy." Johnny whispered out. It hurt with everything in his being and took way too much effort, but he had to get the words out. "Stay gold."

The raven-haired boy took another drag of his cigarette. He remembered feeling his breath leave and the initial panic of losing his awareness. He remembered dying in front of Pony and Dally.

He didn't mean to die, but he didn't mean to live either. The doctor told him all he wanted to hear. He was never going to be able to walk again, not even with crutches, and he'd have to have help doing everything. He couldn't put the guys through that, not them.

Johnny's hands, arms, back, legs, and neck had no sign of injury. He still had the thick scar on his cheek, but that was okay. He couldn't feel any pain, not even when he placed the tip of the lit cigarette against his skin. The ashes wiped away like it was nothing.

He stared at the grass surrounding the Curtis house. He'd woken up in the lot and walked all the way out here. He always liked the Curtis house more than his own. It was his home. Or, at least it was.

Maybe this was Heaven? Johnny never was as religious as other people. He had a small interest in what people believed and he'd been to church once or twice. He'd gone with Pony, but they quit going after a while.

A can clattered in the distance. Johnny looked up and past the fence surrounding the Curtis house. Somebody was here?

Johnny stood up on the porch and was prepared to go back inside, but whistling made him stop. It was the whistle only the guys knew. It was like a code, a warning or a greeting in the group.

It was one of the guys!

Johnny got excited at the thought of not being alone. He wasn't scared, but he didn't enjoy the thought of eternity without anyone.

They must be dead... That's how I got here. So, they must be dead. Johnny's excitement drained away and he was left looking down the street. One of the gang was dead. Only question was, who was it?

Dallas fucking Winston started walking down the street toward the Curtis house. Johnny let out a sigh and sat back down on the porch. He'd written Pony a note and it said to tell Dally it was worth it. Tell Dally there's still good in the world. He'd wasted all that energy writing and re-writing the damn note for Ponyboy.

Dally strolled up to the fence gate and tried not to look bored. Boy, was Johnny upset. He'd never show it, but he was a lot angrier than he intended to be.

"Dal? What're you doing here?" Johnny asked. He took a drag of a new cigarette and looked at Dally leaning on the fence.

"I got shot by some cops, man." He chuckled a bit and tapped his ring against the metal on the gate. There was more to it than that. Dally would have been more upset if he'd just been shot down.