Year 6 | Heartbreaking Choices

DEATH MUST BE EARNED.

Throughout only decades in the world of magic, countless fatalities occurred at the hands of Dark witches and wizards alike. In the early years of the twentieth century, many people suffered under the twisted, dark experiments of the manipulative Gellert Grindelwald. Grindelwald, as students would learn in their third year at Hogwarts, was recorded to date as one of the most dangerous Dark Wizards of all time. He created a benevolently rebellious faction of other Magic folk to help him with his bidding in attempts to out the magical world as they knew it, which he very well knew would lead to the deaths of many of his kind. It would wage a fear-driven war.

Only a monster could do such a thing and not blink.

In later years, Tom Marvolo Riddle was arise as Lord Voldemort, soon to be known as the most dangerous Dark Wizard of all time. He gathered a wide range of magical folk to follow him in his task of ridding the magical world of anyone but the pure blooded, in attempts to achieve total domination of their society. Voldemort's one true aspiration was to be so feared, even when he would be ruler, no one would dare speak his name.

He was undeniably a monster.

A monster is someone who does terrible, cruel deeds and feels not an ounce of remorse for whoever suffers. A monster killed the youthful parents of Harry and Lily Potter II in cold blood. The same villainous fiend tortured the parents of Neville Longbottom only a day prior. A monster was incapable of redemption, because as by definition, they had waded too far into a self-created river of innocent blood.

And they would always drown.

So when Lily Potter II opened her front door to reveal a forlorn Draco Malloy standing in the hallway, instead of shutting the door in his snooty face, she just looked at him. He was a prejudicial, egotistical prat, but he was no monster. And when he acknowledged he so politely, wringing his fingers out in front of him nervously, absentmindedly, Lily knew he was genuine in his intentions.

She allowed him entrance.

Do not misunderstand, however. Lily Potter vividly remembered the teasing and tormenting she and her lot of friends endured because of the boy and his damned father, Lucius Malfoy. She did not offer him a snack or refreshment -- apart from Hagrid's rock cakes, which she so hoped he would reach for but did not. The two sixteen-year-olds stood with a considerable distance between them, regarding each other as Lily regarded Dudley Vernon, her pudgy who use to love tormenting Harry.

"What kind of help?" she questioned, crossing her arms.

"...It's the Dark Lord, the Deatheaters,...my parents..." he stammered, as if the very thing he feared most had come, and he knew it would all along.