Year 6 | Welcome To The New Age

LIFE IS A masquerade

            LIFE IS A masquerade. Everywhere you look, people hide behind masks and lies. People behind their chosen facades seldom change, but the masks always do and overtime, one can forget who they truly are. Lily Potter despised Dolores Umbridge, Cornelius Fudge and the Malfoy family (to name a few) for their perfidiousness -- she supposed it was just a natural quality of government officials. Of course, she excluded Arthur Weasley from that equation -- the Weasley patriarch was entirely himself and that was his most admirable trait -- but only a number of his colleagues could say the same. Lily expected honesty in the best and worst situations; it was why she held such high esteem and affection for Albus Dumbledore, who never lied or concealed anything from Harry and herself. So, when Lily Potter was summoned to the headmaster's office after receiving a note delivered by a younger student, her expression hardened and her lips formed a thin line.

             The Minister of Magic wished to speak with her, and her alone.

            Lily only returned from her week-long stay with Fred and George two days prior and although she had to say goodbye again, euphoria lingered from her time with them, with Fred. She believed nothing could ruin her good mood until she received the note and as she made her way down the main corridor in pursuit of the office, she berated herself repetitively for being so naive. Then, her thoughts traveled to a new inquiry: why wasn't Harry being summoned, as well? What did the new Minister of Magic want to speak to Lily about that Harry couldn't also hear or answer?

         She glanced down at the slip of paper again and eyed the unusual password, "Toffee Eclair," and the gargoyle that guarded the entrance leapt aside and a moving staircase spiraled upwards. She stepped on and allowed it to take her up. As Lily reached the landing, stepped off of the stairs and edged towards the door, she found the Headmaster Dumbledore's office was unusually silent; void of the familiar buzzing of odd trinkets, the chatters of the portraits of old headmasters, and most of all, there were no voices. She rapped her knuckles on the door. At once one of the large doors creaked open and she entered the vast circular room to see Albus Dumbledore sitting in his usual seat behind the big oak desk and across him sat the new Minister of Magic. She was greeted kindly by Dumbledore, as always.

          "Ah, Lily, thank you for joining us on such short notice."

          The Minister gave what seemed like a snort, as if being a student at Hogwarts meant that Lily had nothing better to do.

           "May I ask what this meeting is regarding?" she inquired.

           The Minister stood from his chair and turned. He was a tall man leaning much of his weight onto a wooden cane in his grasp. Faded battle scars littered his sagging skin, but his sharp features and hardened eyes showed no sign of wear and tear.

            "Miss Potter, I have heard much about you." This time, Lily scoffed. "Let me formally introduce myself: I'm Rufus Scrimgeour."

             Lily shook his outstretched hand but pressed her lips together; she, unlike him as he stood with a poker face, clearly displayed her dislike of him.