The Houses

Draco's P.O.V

I heard a voice echo on the train as we got closer to the end of the trip.

"We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes' time. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

*        *        *

"Firs'-year! Firs'-years over here!" I heard a voice calling and I recognize it right away. "All right there Harry? C'mon, follow me - any more firs' years? Mind yer steps, now! Firs'-years follow me!"

We all followed him down the dirty narrow path, nobody spoke much.

Only Clarissa and Ron and Harry whispered excitedly to each other.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec." Hagrid said, "just around this bend here."

There was a loud 'Oooooh!" heard as Hogwarts came to sight.

It was an incredible sight. I don't think I have ever seen anything like this. It's even more impressive than the Malfoy Manor, because it had lights on.

"No more'n four to a boat!" he ordered again so we all abroad a boat.

I was on deck with Crabbe and Goyle and this other girl whose hair's too big for her ugly head.

"My name is Pansy." She smiled at us.

"Hi, I'm Crabbe and this is Goyle!" Crabbe introduced to her stupidly.

"What's your name, blonde boy?"

"None of your bloody business." I snapped at her.

She doesn't need to know my name at all that. Bloody witch. Her crooked smile dropped at my words, she doesn't speak to me at all after that. 

We all step off the boat as it stopped at the shore that leads to the entrance of Hogwarts.

The hideous monster knocked on the large wooden door three times, and it opened immediately. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there at the entrance. Right away, I know who it was.

"The firs'-years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here." said Professor McGonagall

We all followed her into the Entrance Hall. There were flaming bright torches hanging from the ceiling. We were led up the stairs that brought us to the upper floor. But instead of entering the Great Hall like everyone else, we were lead to an empty chamber.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room. The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin."

She paused, then continued.

"Each house has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you are at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honour. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes yours. The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves as much as you can while you are waiting."

Her eyes travelled and lingered on the fat kid whose name I recall was Neville.

"I shall return when we are ready for you. Please wait quietly." She finished and then walked away.