The Flying Lesson

Draco's P.O.V

When I walked to the Great Hall the next morning with Crabbe and Goyle, I realise that I only have two lessons with Gryffindor house...that was until we walked across the notice board which says that I will be having Flying Lessons every Thursday with Gryffindor house.

When I sat down at the table, my owl had already arrived with sweets that my mother had packed for me. And just as I had thought, there was a note on it. I stuffed it in my pocket so I would be able to read without people trying to read what was written in it, but I open the sweets right at the table and pretended as if I had a loving family that had sent me sweets.

I looked over to the other table, Harry hadn't got any presents. Suddenly, the fat boy's present arrived. 

"It's a Remembrall!" I heard the fat boy boasted "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh... you've forgotten something." He said as the Remembrall in his fat hand turns scarlet. I couldn't help but snigger.

Just as I was about to return to my sweets, my mind gave me a brilliant idea.

Why don't you go and interrupt their conversation by stealing Neville's sweets? My mind told me brilliantly.

As the boy held the Remembrall up high and try to remember what he had forgotten, I snatched it out of his hand without thinking twice. Potter and Weasley stood up almost immediately as if trying to get into a fight with me. Just right before they were going to jump on me and battle me, Professor McGonagall came over.

"What's going on?" she asked her voice indifferent from yesterday.

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor." The boy said.

I scowled at him before tossing the Remembrall at his direction, "Just looking." Then I walked away with Crabbe and Goyle.

*        *        *

At about three ten that afternoon, I hurried down to the grounds that our first Flying Lesson will take place. The Gryffindors haven't arrived yet, so we just sat around the already piled load of broomsticks.

At three-thirty, the Gryffindors finally arrived.

Just as the Gryffindors got close to the broomsticks our teacher, Madam Hooch, arrived.

Her hair was grey and short, and she had hawk like yellow eyes. They were quite frightening actually. I've never seen anybody with yellow eyes before, so it was a first for me.

"Well, what are you all waiting for? Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up." She barked "Stick out your right hand over your broom, and say 'Up!'"

Everybody did as they were told.

Potter's broom flew up and into his hand right away, but I was having some trouble. Only at the third call had it flew up into my grip. 

The next step was 'Gripping'. I had been holding my broom ever since I first got it. I was pretty positive that I had been holding my broom correctly. But how wrong was I.

Madam Hooch came over to me and told me that I had been doing it wrong for years, earning myself some snigger from the Gryffindor house. It took her a while to correct me, but I got it in the end anyways.

"Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle - three - two - "

But the stupid boy, Neville from this morning, had already pushed hard before the whistle had even touched Madam Hooch's lips.

"Come back, boy!" She shouted, but he kept rising and rising. He looked so frightened when he was about twenty feet above the ground. The entire colour from his face seemed to have found their way out of his fat face when looked down. His eyes slowly rolled over to the inside of his head as if he was about to faint, and he slid more and more to the left until - WHAM!