♤Chapter 2♤

"I started this school last year anyway, which is probably why you've never seen me," I said as I struggled to get my thumb to cover Chris's.

  We were still in the process of 'getting to know each other' and we'd have to switch partners multiple times now and everytime, only Chris and Darwin would give me some entertainment.

  Now we were playing thumb war and he's won so many times that I've lost count. At first when he suggested we play, I almost had a heart attack from the thought of holding his hand but I managed to keep it together.

  Just then he managed to pin down my thumb again for the thousandth time. I groaned and glared up at him, only to catch the grin on his face, making my lips twitch in effort to hold back the coming smile.

  I failed. Laughing lightly, I pulled my hand out of his, "It's cause you have larger thumbs. It doesn't even count," I pull a face at him and he laughs. "What grade are you in?" I ask him, playing with my grown out nails. I always loved my fingernails because they're so pretty when I let them grow, but then one of them breaks and I have to cut the rest. I can't have one nail shorter than all the others or one longer than all the others. It bothers me.

  "12." He says briefly. I look up at him, shaking my head, causing him to laugh, "What?" He asks when I kept shaking my head at him.

  "I envy you. I wish I was in 12th grade. I hate high school. I just wanna leave," I told him truthfully. I really want to leave. I hate this place and I just want to leave and go off on my own.

  "Why?" He reaches over, pressing the tip of his finger against my nail, causing a red crescent mark to form on it when he pulls it back. He continues to do this, while I just sit there with my finger outstretched and watch.

  "I hate it here. School, this place, these people," I shook my head, "I just hate it. I wanna go somewhere where I can be alone. No family, nobody to say 'I've seen you before', or people to tell me what to do. I wanna be completely alone." That sounded sad. Depressing even, but I really don't care what anyone wants to think. This is my goal. I just want to go out there and make it in life. That's my main priority. I want to be successful and low key. I want to live somewhere where nobody knows me and I have no one to front for. I just want to be me in peace.

  He was looking at me, but I didn't meet his eyes. It definitely sounds depressing, "Not even friends?"

  I shook my head, "I told you, I don't have friends."

  "So you've never had a friend? Not even one?" He presses, leaning forward in curiosity.

  I thought for a second, staring at a small dark spot on his grey t-shirt, "I don't think I've ever really had one." I chew on the inside of my bottom lip, "I stopped calling people my 'friends' after I actually understood the meaning of the word. Right now I'm just focused on getting somewhere in life and most of the time friends keep you from doing that," I bent my elbow on top of the desk and held my cheek in my hand, "The last thing I want is people holding me back because of their so called 'friendship'," I smiled at him, "I don't really need them anyway."

  He was staring at me. I didn't know what he was thinking and as he kept staring I started to fidget in discomfort, "What?" I ask lowly.

  He folds his arms and lean forward on the table again, "What about me?" He smiled teasingly.

  My discomfort melted away gradually and I laughed, "Maybe. If you don't mind moving across the country and moving into a tiny apartment with me then fine." I shrug indifferently though the thought was giving me butterflies.

  "Maybe I don't."

  I blinked rapidly, disbelief clouding my head, "Really?" I ask, but I knew not to get my hopes up. A lot of people say things that they never really mean. Or they could mean it today and change their minds tomorrow.