♤Chapter 21♤

“So,” I slapped my phone in my hand, “I need to have my ass home at 10, the least,” I voiced, staring at Chris who was looking at me expectantly, “Have me on my doorstep by 9:57.” I patted his arm as I walked by him.

 He laughed, “Why 9:57?”

 I turned back to him, “I need time to get up the stairs, duh.” I made a face.

 His eyes narrowed at my tone, “I'll poke you in your arm.”

 My eyes narrowed back at him, “I dare you. Do it. Find out what these hands do, boy.”

 “I know that one,” he pointed at my arm in the sling, “Can't do shit.”

 I was quiet after that, staring at him in mock disbelief, “You're going to the darkest part of hell.” I hissed, turning away from him and walking toward where he told me the dining room was.

 He laughed loudly behind me, “C'mon Ari, don't be so sensitive.”

 I went through the open hallway and stood there for a second, looking side to side cause I didn't know where I was going.

 “Left.” He said behind me.

  I went left without even acknowledging him and kept walking until the dining room appeared on my right. A pretty big table for only two people honestly.

 We walked into the room right when his mom was placing a plate of food in the center of the table more toward the top.

 Chris clapped next to me, rubbing his hands together dramatically and walking around the table, “So what are we having?”

 She looked up and smiled, stepping back from the table, “Barbecue pork ribs,” she turns to me, “Pasta if you're not a meat eater and a couple sides,” she gestures to the table.

 Ima fuck the shit up, sis, don't you worry.

 I could feel my mouth watering, staring at the table. The food was obviously fresh out the pot if the steam rising from each dish wasn't a give away. I can only hope it tastes as good as it looks.

 “Went to culinary school,” I heard Chris say and turned to see him smiling at me.

 I didn't get a chance to get my thoughts together after that, since his mom followed up with, “Have a seat,” catching my attention again when she gestured to a chair.

 She sat at the head of the table, me in the second chair to her right and Chris in the first on her left. I didn't want to sit too close and this makes me more comfortable.

 I'd had to take my sling off, since I'm a righty. I have to use my right hand. There was a faint ache in my shoulder whenever I held my arm up too high, but it wasn't an unbearable pain. Especially since I still take medication that helps me with the pain, so I'm good, as long as I don't get hit in it.

 I took in a deep subtle breath and nearly sighed out loud at the mouthwatering smell of heaven.

 “So how's school?” She started and I followed their lead when they started making their plates.

 Chris answered her question, seeing as I didn't think the question was directed to me. So I just listen to them converse back and forth for about five minutes.

 Apart from the ribs and pasta, there was a bowl of salad, mash potatoes and a plate of breadsticks.

 I reached for a breadstick the same time Chris did and jumped when he flicked my hand, pulling it back quickly. I pursed my lips to hold back a smile and squinted my eyes at him.