♤Chapter 29♤

♤ARIANA♤

 Silverware was noisily clinking against plates. It almost sounded like it was echoing because of how quiet everyone was. I could also feel both our moms’ eyes on the both of us because of our quietness.

 This didn’t happen a lot because Chris and I were physically unable to stay quiet if we’re in a room together. We’re always arguing and throwing jabs at each other for no reason and they know this. That’s why this is a major deal.

 But the truth is, I wasn’t actually mad at what he’d said. I was just getting even. I even threw them a thumbs up and a grin behind his back to let them know I was just messing with him. I wanted him to suffer because I still wasn’t okay with the little sex talk he made me get. But obviously everything blew up in my face when he went the fuck off.

 I didn’t expect him to. He’s never gotten that angry at me before and it completely threw me off. I was even about to tell him I was kidding, but he told me to shut up and it didn’t look like he was playing around so I did just that. And between that and the start of dinner, we haven’t spoken, or even looked at each other. Our moms even tried to be slick — Charlotte offered to give my mom a tour of the house, leaving Chris and I in the living room alone for a while. But after a couple minutes of total awkward silence, he’d gotten up and left. And at the time I really thought our friendship was over. I kinda still do.

 I still don’t understand what the hell happened.

 We almost… kissed. On the lips.

 And that forced me into thinking if he… liked me...

 But I quickly threw that thought in the garbage because there was no way.

 And sure I think he’s immensely attractive and we teased each other a lot, but… I’ve never seen myself in a relationship with him of all people. Not that anything’s wrong with him, it’s just… y’know…

 I’ve never seen myself dating a white boy. There I said it.

 My mom on the other hand, she loves them, and ever since her and my dad split, all she dated were white guys. Personally, I never saw that for myself. I didn’t have anything against them really, it’s just... a me thing. But in this scenario… it’s Chris. Annoying, frustrating, blabbering Christian Rich. I used to fantasize about him but I never really saw it happening. But then I met him and he was just… irritating, so it immediately cancelled out some of my infatuation. Because that’s what it was before — infatuation. I didn’t know the guy, but he was hot and he looked cool, so like any other girl, I eye stalked him whenever I saw him and created a nasty world for us. He’ll never know that though.

 But I can’t say I didn’t want to kiss him. I’d be lying. I’d go to hell for that big of a lie. And the way he held me- oh Jesus Lord-

 I cleared my throat, almost choking on some turkey stuffing, and readjusted myself on my chair. I reached for my glass of water, taking a sip, only my eyes betrayed me and I glanced at Chris who was sitting across from me, one chair to the right. It didn’t bother me until he looked up a second later and I froze up momentarily before looking away quickly.

 Don’t eye-fuck him with the moms in the room, fool.

 I know we didn’t hold eye contact long enough for it to be considered that but if I didn’t look away when I did… Who knows what they would’ve saw on our faces.

 A throat cleared, “Charlotte, didn’t you say there was some extra stuffing?”

 I looked up at my mom and she was giving me a look. I subtly gave a small jerk of my head.