♤Chapter 24♤

♤ARIANA♤

  School was dismissed early because it was snowing like a bitch.

 I guess we're having a storm today and they still had us come to school. It makes no sense really. Now people are gonna have to walk through it, wait for someone to pick them up or do what I have to do—wait the next half hour for the busses to get here.

 Before I left class I was talking to one of my classmates and she was saying why I don't get ‘the boy that I'm talking to' to take me home.

 Thing is, Chris has been taking me home often, but it's a fricken storm. I'm not gonna make him take me home and drive through all that to get back to his house. And no doubt there's gonna be a shitload of traffic too.

 So I did what any respectful daughter would do; I called my mom.

 I leaned against the railing that overlooked the main hall on the first first floor, my head turned away from the crowd and my fingers pressed over my other ear to drown out the noisy hallway.

 “If he doesn't mind taking you home, then it's not a problem,” she said.

 And I protested, “But it's a storm. He can't drive back home through that. I'll just wait for the bus.”

 “Yes, but then you'll be walking fifteen minutes through the storm. You don't know what could be flying around out there. He can wait a bit and see if the storm dies down.

 I doubted that, but I said, “Okay.”

 She could've picked me up, and she suggested that until I mentioned Chris. I didn't want her driving thirty minutes from work just to drop me home. It was either the bus or my very annoying friend. And I didn't want it to be my annoying friend. I wanted him to be home and comfortable, not driving me home and probably getting stuck at my place.

 And I'm pretty sure he's gonna get stuck at my place. It was a really bad storm.

 The music in my earbuds cut off a couple minutes later and I looked at my phone. I groaned, sliding my finger against the answer icon.

 “Yeah?” I answered, focusing on his voice and turning up my volume.

 “Where are you?” He asked.

 I shook my head, “You can leave without me. I'm taking the bus.”

 “Okay, but where are you?” He asked again.

 “History wing at the top of the staircase,” I replied.

 “Cool, see you in a minute,” he replied, then hung up.

 “I shouldn't have told him where I was,” I muttered to myself.

 Knowing him, he would drag me to his truck. But I'll deal with it when he gets here.

 In the meantime, I stared out at the front of the school through the thin rectangle window embedded in the wall. It was snowing really heavy. The lines on the light poles were swaying and I don't doubt a couple of the trees are gonna uproot some time tonight.

 I could almost hear the wind. If there wasn't so much noise coming from the crowded halls and the music in my ears, I probably could've.

 There's definitely no way I can walk home through that. A simple strong breeze is enough to shift me, I'd be flying through this unwillingly.

 When he got to me, he didn't say anything at first. Just gave me a look with his arms crossed.

 Eventually, I initiated the talk after sighing heavily, “Okay, so I was against it at first since I didn't want you driving me home through this, but… you're gonna have to drive me home.”