♠Chapter 31♠

♠CHRIS♠

  "Maaa!!!" I shouted into the house the second I stepped inside, "You beautiful woman, where are you!" I drop my bag by the door and kicked it shut while shrugging off my coat, before stepping into the back of my shoes to get them off, "I know you're here! Are you ignoring me!?" I shouted, snickering as I made my way to the kitchen.

  My phone started vibrating in my pocket and I paused briefly to get it, unable to stop my smile at seeing who it is.

  It's two weeks into the second semester and it's going good so far. By the grace of God, Ariana and I had two classes together now, and we came to the conclusion that it's because I'm taking solely academic classes this year. Not gonna lie, it's been a lot better for me time wise. I get to do a lot more than I used to. I don't have as many assignments or projects like I once did, and it's been benefiting me in studying a lot more for my SATs that I took a couple weeks ago. I'm still waiting for the results for those and even though I feel good about my scores, I'm still nervous about it.

  I already told Ariana I'm gonna be calling her crying if I get anything less that 1400. She believes me and I'm happy she's not taking this for a joke.

  So now I'm just focusing more on getting my community service hours done. I already started some time last year in late November at an animal shelter. Which I found was on Ari's side of town, a couple minutes away from where she lives. I asked my boss if I could get Thursday evenings off and work later on the weekend so I could get it done and he didn't have a problem, so I'm already more than halfway through with the 60 hours that they need. And I also sent in college applications, so my life's on the right track and going pretty great right now.

  On another note, after the... incident with Ari on Thanksgiving, we've been... closer you could say. A lot more flirting, I'll tell you that, but it never went beyond that. Also, a lot of fights, both arguments and physical ones. Our physical fights are always playful though even though it can get a bit... rough sometimes. It's always my fault, cause I touch her hair and she hates when I do that, but come on, seeing her with different hair every couple of weeks does stuff to me.

  Smirking, I dialed the number instead of texting back and put my phone on speaker while trying to pull my hoodie over my head. It was pretty hot in here and I briefly wondered why my mom had the heat on so high.

  Ariana answered on the third ring and I knew she'd been staring at her phone the entire time, contemplating answering.

  "Why are you calling my phone?" Is her rude greeting.

  I got my top off, grinning anyway, "Just letting you know I got home safely as you inquired," I replied teasingly, and I could see her rolling her eyes just then, so I said, "Don't roll your eyes at me."

  "Okay, sir, do something about it," she said with a lot of attitude and if I could strangle her through the phone I would.

  "I don't enjoy your sass, little girl."

  "And I don't enjoy you calling my phone at 10 o'clock at night, some of us have mothers who'll come in and take the damn thing."

  "First of all, it's 9, and second, why'd you text me?" I retorted as I entered the kitchen.

  I came to an abrupt stop at seeing unfamiliar faces sitting around the island in my kitchen when Ari said, "To make sure you got home and didn't run off the road, you scum. It's called being a good person."

  "Hello," I drawled slowly, taking in the faces of the strangers, then caught my mother's stare.

  "Umm... Hi..." Ariana trailed off from the phone, and my lips twitched in amusement.