|Fifteen| Too Damn Stubborn

Alyssa was laying against a tree stump, the familiar feeling of being sick lurking in her stomach. Her heart thudded in her ears as she laid in the rain, completely still. She was out of breath, just sitting there, causing her heart rate to speed up. She had hot flashes, so much to the point she felt dizzy. 

She thought she saw someone running in the distance, but it was just odd black orbs she saw in her vision. Her muscles ached, and her shoulder screamed in unbearable pain as the rain spread throughout her deep wound. Her usually bright green eyes now have a strange dull tint to them and her black hair clung to her face. Her eyes closed every now and then, and she slipped in and out of consciousness. 

The drop ship door was only 5 yards or so away, and if she felt the need to ask Clarke to help her, she'd go up there and ask. But right now she was too embarrassed to show her face in front of all those kids. Plus, it's not like they'd need her. If she was always in the way, her croaking in the middle of a rain storm would be good for all of them, including her father.

Guilt crept into her mind as she thought of her father. She could only imagine the heart break he'd feel if just after he enjoyed the relief that came with finding out that the Earth was survivable and his daughter was alive, then that relief gone as he learned she died because she was too damn stubborn to ask for help. Deep down she knew she was just crazy, and that it was probably just a cold or something and she'd just have a runny nose in the morning. 

But as she watched a shadow walk towards her for the millionth time, then it dissolve into the cold rain, she sighed. This caused her chest to feel like it was collapsing and her arms flung to her chest as she couldn't breath. It was like she was choking on nothing. She began drawing her legs up, trying to kick and create any noise in the hopes someone would come and rescue her. But the nonstop pitter-patter of the rain and the clashing of the thunder would drown her out, and she knew it.

Alyssa dropped her hands to her lap as her lungs burned. She squeezed her eyes shut. I can't die. Please, I can't die. She told herself as she forced herself to breath in slowly, then out. Although it hurt, she fixed her breathing. She weakly turned on her side and attempted to push herself to her feet, but her joints groaned in protest and she fell. 

With a groan, she grasped the dead leaves and mud in her hands as a bright strike of lightning lit up whole sky for the slightest millisecond. She inhaled deeply before pressing both palms against the cold, wet earth and pushed herself to her feet. Her vision went out of focus, and the rain and thunder seemed to be far away for a minute, before everything went back to normal. She leaned against the wall of the camp, which was already getting destroyed by the storm.

Alyssa tried taking a step forwards but in her weak state, she collapsed to the ground. She groaned loudly in pain as she landed on her hurt shoulder and her whole body ached. It was like in that one nightmare, when you were running from something, and then all the sudden, you fell down and couldn't stand, or scream. 

As she looked at the drop ship from her side, an odd feeling rushed over her as her headache grew then all the sudden something felt weird. It was like there was someone covering her eyes and plugging her ears. The sound of the storm and the drop ship were gone, and it was all just black, but she was captured in my thoughts.

It was almost like Alyssa was in her own mind, but her heart raced in fear. But there was nothing scary around. Just the darkness. She felt anxious, like multiple bursts of energy shot throughout her body, and she had to move around in awkward positions. But she wasn't actually there.

Her mind stopped worrying about how she felt, and slowly everything faded away. The pain, the stressed breathing, the cool rain on her hot skin. It all was washed away.