|Twenty| Murphy's Home

Later on that night, Bass, Conner, and another named Derek were on watch while Jasper sat around the campfire exaggerating how he saved everyone on the bridge. Alyssa walked over beside Miller, Octavia, and Monty chuckling as Jasper nodded as the girls looked at him wide eyed, in absolute awe.

"Hey." Octavia smiled softly to her dark haired friend as she stood in between her and Miller.

"Hey. No sign of your brother or the others, huh?" Alyssa asked as she kept her gaze on Jasper. Dusk had fallen, surrounding their camp in darkness. The only light was from the camp fires scattered around camp, many of them Alyssa had to keep under control because a certain few kids found a stash of moonshine and were drinking until they couldn't speak, which resulted in stupid decisions such as building the fire too big.

Bass had stressed to Alyssa that his eyesight wasn't the best and that made him jittery. Apparently that means he shouldn't hold the gun because he may have a trigger finger. But, he didn't want to disappoint her, so he'd try to man the wall without pulling the trigger on accident.

"I don't care." Octavia muttered as she watched Jasper with a glare.

"Well, clearly Lyssa here does." Miller nudged Octavia who glanced at her friend with a smirk as Miller wiggled his brows. Alyssa only raised a brow as the two high-fived before Octavia overheard the campers.

"Jasper, tell us again, how'd you stay so calm?" Harper asked with glowing eyes. "I would've been terrified." Alyssa chuckled.

"Fears only a problem if you let it stop you, right?" Jasper asked and Octavia rolled her eyes angrily. 

"That's not even his line. Finn said that." Miller laughed and crossed his arms over his chest as he watched the younger Blake girl get angry.

"I saw the Grounders in the trees. It was unlike anything I've ever felt before. Pure animal instinct took over." Jasper nodded and Alyssa had to muffle a laugh as she placed her hand over her mouth. "One pull of the trigger; two Grounders dead."

"Pure animal instinct? More like pure pants-wetting panic." Octavia rolled her eyes and shook her head. Monty rolled his eyes and Alyssa cocked a brow at them.

"You don't really know what you're made of until a moment like that you know when it's kill or be killed and there's just nothing between you and the tip of the spear." Alyssa's smile faltered and she looked down.

He wasn't wrong. Even then, she couldn't kill the Grounder when he was clearly going to kill her without a blink of the eye.

"Okay, this has to stop." Octavia muttered and Monty shook his head. Miller caught Alyssa's sad gaze and frowned as he looked down, catching sight of her fists clenching and unclenching.

"No, let us have this." Monty basically pleaded and Alyssa looked up at the Asian boy. "The boy is a folk hero. They even gave us a bigger tent." He smiled brightly and Alyssa smiled softly, her hands relaxing at the sight of her friend enjoying himself.

"Besides, kid did get hit in the chest with a spear and was looked at as weak because of it." Miller scoffed and Alyssa glanced at Jasper.

"Whatever, but he wasn't the one in danger in that moment. He didn't save the day." Octavia muttered and Alyssa laughed. Story time was cut short as a loud clattering came from behind the wall. Alyssa immediately pulled out her pistol, turning safety off and holding it by her waist as she spun around and looked up to the gunners.

"Trip wire?" Alyssa asked as the gunners looked through their scopes, scanning the area. 

"I got nothing.. wait, I see someone!" Derek shouted and Octavia's heart sped up as her friend exited the walls, holding her pistol up as her stance was stiff.