3.2

A/N: Hi guys! I'm sorry for being pretty absent from wattpad this past week. I have been busy editing my novel and sending some advanced copies to my first readers! Yay! So... anyways, that's why I've been kinda dormant on here. Okay, so, on to the chapter! Hope you enjoy :)

-

01 - 21 - 2089

Just one more stroke... 

There. It's finished.

I step back and admire my latest drawing. It is smattered across the last bit of clean wall, darkening the bland grey into a series of black, dusty swirls. The sun.

Even though it's black, I can still use my imagination to picture myself standing beneath it, being warmed by its rays. Even though I've never seen it, I can use my imagination to experience such sensations. And even though I probably won't ever be allowed to see it in real life, at least I'll have this little sun of my own.

I carefully pack up my art tools before putting them away. Then I rest on my bed, waiting for something to happen. The tests ended early for today and now I'm bored. Usually I can't wait to have time to draw, but today I don't feel like doing any more art. 

I stretch out on my bed and stare at the ceiling, wide awake. I haven't even had my last meal for the day. That means it's still only sometime in the afternoon. Ugh.

I groan and roll around in bed, trying to distract myself. As far as I can remember, I've never had this much time to myself. And it's weird. I try to go into my imagination and be somewhere else. Maybe go to some place in a book. 

But everytime I try, it doesn't work. I'm so very bored. Like, really. And that's all I can think of.

With another groan, I roll off the bed and onto the floor with a thud. I drag myself onto my feet and head into the restroom. The stainless steel sink and toilet greet me in all their glory. Or not. 

I do my business quickly, but while I wash my hands, an idea pops into my mind. And it's a weird one, but it might just entertain me. 

After I dry my hands, I lean down at the edge of the bathtub and stare at the faucet that normally fills it. I wonder how high the water could get in this thing. I've only ever filled it half full (it's a big tub). But it might be interesting to see it full. And don't ask me why. Like I said, I'm bored. And I'm grasping for anything to do. 

I shrug and plug the drain. Then I turn the faucet so it's all the way on. Water gushes out of the metal tube and flows into the tub, already starting to fill it. The clear liquid sloshes at the sides of the white tub, slowly raising. 

I watch it, mesmerized. The water swirls, so glad to be free of its prison in the pipes. I can almost hear its laughter and sense its joy.

Then I hear it. A faint screeching just outside the bathroom. My door. Someone's coming. 

I jump up and race out of the restroom just in time. The door finishes sliding open to reveal an orderly. My forehead creases and I cross my arms, wondering why an orderly is here. 

But when he steps inside, I realize it's not just any orderly. It's Cade. 

"What are you doing here?" I ask as the door shuts behind him. He doesn't come any closer, instead opting to stare at me from the other side of the small room. When he doesn't answer, I can't help but stare at him. His hair is unkempt today, even more so than the other times I've seen him. And it looks like he's run his hand through it a couple times. 

Cade's jaw is tense, locked. He stares at me with deep eyes in a way that confuses me. It's a look I've never been given before. He's not studying me, like everyone else does. And I don't know what to make of it.