17.2

A/N: Hello lovelies! I hope you all had a good weekend! i just have to say that I have loved writing this story with all of you guys cheering these characters on and loving them (almost) as much as I do ;) You guys make writing such a fabulous journey! (Also, don't fear the book isn't over yet! I'm just getting sappy)

-

02 - 17 - 2089

When the darkness begins to fade, a throbbing headache replaces it. I moan and force my eyes open. My mind feels like it's swimming through thick mud. I blink several times, clearing my vision as the memories of what happened rush back in. 

The men finding us. 

Running to the train station. 

Hiding in the train. 

And then... they found us. Cade!

My eyes scan the dark room I'm in, only just realizing that we must still be on our way back to the facility. I can feel every bump and rut in the road as we drive over it. I try to stand, but find I'm restrained to a cot of some sort. Instead, I twist and angle my neck, calling out softly, "Cade?" 

No response. 

I try again, a little louder. "Cade, can you hear me?" Still nothing, and the silence grows along with my panic. What if they didn't bring him with? What if he's lying back in that train car, slowly dying. What if he's already dead?  A small voice in the back of my mind says, but I shove it away. No. He can't be dead. There's still time. 

The vehicle I'm in slows to a stop and I hold perfectly still as I hear voices from the outside. My eyes shut just as light floods into the compartment. Someone climbs into the truck; I can feel them walking around. 

"At least she's still asleep." The first voice belongs to a man, gruff and low, like he's swallowed one too many rocks. 

Someone else grunts in response. "She's just a little girl."

"A little girl who practically scratched my eyes out," the first man argues, and I barely hold back a smile. Maybe I'm not so helpless after all. 

"She's restrained and unconscious. I think you'll be fine." 

The cot I'm strapped to moves and jostles as the men push it out of the vehicle. I keep my eyes shut until the cot hits the ground. Then I hear the shouting. 

My eyes fly open and I strain my neck to see someone being hauled out of the truck next to the one I was in. Four soldiers are trying to restrain him, but he's fighting back with all he has, his dark hair wild and unkempt. And for a second, his blue eyes meet mine, and I can't help but whisper his name. He's alive, and they've brought him with. 

Cade's eyes go wide as he sees me and his fighting renews with vigor. "Gis!" A soldier tries to buckle restraints on his hands, but he isn't giving them a moment. "Let go of me!" He swears as he is shoved face-first into the ground. 

"Cade!" I begin fighting against my own restraints now, even as I'm being wheeled away from Cade. "No!" I scream. "Let him go! Don't hurt him!" The soldiers don't seem to care what happens to him. He's on the ground, completely pinned, while one of the soldiers jams his boot into Cade's side relentlessly. Over and over again. They're hurting him, even as I'm brought out of the large garage and into the familiar sterile halls. 

Once Cade is out of sight I settle down, able to think more clearly. Struggling won't help me. But maybe if I listen and am docile, then they'll let their guard down. Maybe if I pretend I want to be here then they won't keep me prisoner.