20.1

A/N: Well, all I have to say is that I can't believe it's already the 39th chapter O.O I never would have gotten this far if it weren't for all your encouragement! You guys are awesome!

-

02 - 18 - 2089

My legs and arms are tingling by the time I allow myself to relax in the seat. The trail of vehicles rolls along over the white landscape, the sun just beginning to break over the horizon. It casts golden rays over the snowy earth, creating a sparkling image. The light makes the snow appear like millions of diamonds, glittering in a sea of priceless worth. It's so breathtaking, I just allow myself to forget, even for a moment, the past. Staring out at the landscape, I focus on the present instead.

"Gis? Are you okay?" A tentative, taught voice reaches my ears from beside me. I blink, turning away from the window to face Cade who is seated in the back with me. His face is drawn, pale, but a small smile graces his lips. The bruises on his face are stark, and it hurts me to see what his mother put him through. But I allow a smile to break out on my face as well, pushing those thoughts behind me.

Then I give him a small yet firm nod. "I'm going to be now, I think." At my words, relief flickers in Cade's eyes. His gaze droops and he heaves in a great breath, his lungs rattling.

My forehead scrunches as I survey him, checking again to see if I missed any injuries. I don't see anything, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. I rest a tentative hand on his shoulder, his arm pressed against his mid section. He jerks a bit at my touch, but seems to recover quickly and look over at me, his blue eyes meeting my dark ones.

"Sorry." He blinks, and his pupils seem to have trouble focusing. Not good. Definitely not good.

"What's wrong?" Once again my eyes scan him for injuries, looking over his black coat and dark pants. "Did you get hurt?"

"I'm... fine," he grits out, but it's clear he's lying. The pain is so evident on his face now.

I push back the panic that threatens to rise. "Where does it hurt?" I demand. "What happened?"

He hesitates, then slowly draws his hand away from his stomach. The pale skin on his hand is slick with blood. And as I look closer, I can see the blood soaking through his black jacket. The dark color hides it well, but there's no mistaking it now.

"You... you've been shot," I breathe, almost not believing it myself. What do I do? How do I stop it? That's a lot of blood. What if he...

"It's okay," Cade grits out. He lets out a breathy laugh that sounds pained. "Just a scratch." His head falls back against the seat, his body almost completely limp.

"No, it's not." I slide closer to him and reach for his jacket. "What happened?" My hands tremble as I peel back his jacket to find the source of the blood. His grey shirt beneath is also soaked in blood, and a ragged hole is ripped through the fabric, revealing the skin beneath.

My stomach rolls at the sight of the bloody flesh. The bullet tore right through him and left a mess behind. It's all I can do to keep myself from vomiting at the sight. But part of me knows I need to remain strong for Cade. After all he's done for me, all the hits he's taken for me, I can do this small thing for him.

"Don't look at it," Cade orders, but a groan slips past his lips before he can finish and his hands clench at his sides.

"Why didn't you tell me you were hurt?" I demand, then realize how angry that sounds. He's severely injured, and I'm yelling at him.