7.2

A/N: Good day, peeps! Just wanna tell you how wonderful you are and I hope you have a wonderful week :) Also #Gade, folks >:)

-

02 - 04 - 2089

"What are you doing here?" I sit up on my bed with as much strength as I can muster, staring hard at Cade. He stands in the open doorway, wearing the usual white shirt and pants of an orderly. They fit nicely, and I can't help but notice the strong outline of his arms through the sleeves. 

"I need to speak with you," he says, taking a step inside. 

"At this hour?" I ask. From my internal clock, I can tell it is late. And I was sleeping when he opened the door, so I know this is unusual. A prick of curiosity blooms inside me at the thought. It fights against the desire to go back to sleep with intensity. 

Cade glances behind him and steps all the way inside, allowing the door to shut fully. "Yes." He lowers his voice. "It's important, Gis."

I hold back a snappy remark and reluctantly nod. "Okay, but please be quick. I'm tired." I still feel exhausted from earlier today when they extracted so much blood from me. I woke up back in here in clean clothes, and I've been trying to rest and regain my energy every since. 

Cade perks up at my agreement and hurries over to me, sitting down on the edge of the bed. He leans in close. I feel his breath on my neck and face and shiver. I force myself to sit up and lean against the cold wall behind me. My hands fumble to smooth down my hair, and I feel all sorts of strands sticking out every which way. I run my fingers through it, trying to comb and tame it. 

"Gis, I... I want to help you," Cade says, his eyes on me, watching and waiting to see my reaction. He looks hopeful.

"Help me?" My eyes widen. I wonder what exactly he is talking about. How does he want to help me? I scold myself for being curious about everything when part of me wants to be angry at him. 

"I've been thinking about what has happened..." he speaks slowly, choosing his words with care. He looks down at his hands, now avoiding my gaze. "I'm so sorry. For everything. I don't want you to live like this anymore."

Before I can stop myself, I reach over and lift his chin up. He hesitantly meets my gaze, and I notice how red they are around the edges. "You want to help me..." I say, more to clarify for myself than for him. Those are beautiful words. A beautiful gift, but... it is what I think it is?

Cade nods, and I lower my hand, almost regretting the action. Cade seems to sag a bit as well, and I wonder why. He clears his throat, calming his expression. "I want to help you escape from this place. I want you to be free."

Free. The word bounces around in my mind. Such a peculiar word, and one I long to experience. If Cade helps me then I can live my own life, free from the instruction of Barr and the cruel torture of Doctor Acosta. They would no longer control me. 

"How?" I breathe, hardly trusting myself to speak. I'm afraid I'll say something stupid and ruin all of this. More hope is growing in my mind. I hope he is truthful and means what he says. 

"I'm not sure yet," Cade admits. "But I've made up my mind, and I intend to see it through. I know the surrounding land and towns that aren't too far away. It wouldn't be easy--"

"I don't need easy," I cut him off. "If you are with me, I think I can do anything." There it is. The stupid thing I didn't want to say. 

Color tinges Cade's cheeks and he shakes his head, forcing out a hard laugh. "You're crazy," he mutters, and I'm not sure if he's talking to himself or me.