16.2

A/N: I hope you all are having a great day! I'm a little distracted right now, so if I seem a bit MIA on Wattpad then I apologize.

-

02 - 16 - 2089

The sun has left us. We are cloaked in shadows as we hurry down the streets, the shouts and voices of our pursuers not far away. Cade holds my hand as we run, keeping me steady as he leads us toward the train station.

Every now and then the voices of those chasing us fades into the sounds of the city, and I begin to hope we are safe. Then we turn a corner and they spot us.

There are more chasing us now. The men must have called in backup, and they are trying to surround us. If we don't reach the trains soon, all hope will be gone.

As if Cade can sense my fear, he squeezes my hand a little tighter. "We're going to make it," he says. "Just a little farther."

I nod, because my lungs ache too much to speak. All I can do is focus on placing one foot in front of the other. Again. And again.

We turn down another narrow alley, the place poorly lit. Up ahead, I see a towering building across the street. Almost there. I find a small hidden reserve of energy in my legs and push faster.

Before we reach the end of the alley, Cade yanks me back against the side and presses me against him. His breath is hot on my face as he speaks.

"Quiet. More men are across the street." He chances a glance at the street again, cursing softly at what he sees. "We'll have to go around the back."

I want to ask what he plans to do. How he plans to get us on a train without tickets. But my body is too tired to bother. Instead, I opt for a small nod.

Cade presses a hurried kiss to my temple and pulls away. "Stay here. I'm going to make sure it's all clear." Before I can process his words, Cade is gone.

I continue to catch my breath, forcing myself to count each breath so my thoughts don't wander.

What if he gets caught?

What if they hurt him?

What if they kill him?

I shake my head when I catch those rebellious thoughts in my head. Calm. Cade is going to be fine.

My heart won't stop beating erratically, my mind won't calm. I need Cade to return. I need him back.

Seconds tick by. They feel like minutes. Then hours. And just when I think I can't take it anymore, a figure slips into the alley and approaches me.

"All clear," Cade says, his face coming into view. The soft blue of his eyes is dark in the dim light. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding and take the hand he offers me.

"Let's get out of this place for good," Cade mutters, sending me a soft and light smile. It feels too light in the circumstances, but I shove that thought away. He's just trying to encourage me.

-

I'm almost over the fence to the train yard when I hear a shout behind me. Cade, who is waiting for me on the other side of the fence, has his hands up and waiting to help me down.