14.2

A/N: Hehe it's Monday. Not Tuesday. Guess who finally updated on time? This girl :D Also, I just published my newest wattpad story last week, titled Infernal Blade, and I would love it if you guys would check it out and give me some feedback (shamelessly promoting my works, I know).

-

02 - 12 - 2089

I'm falling. The ground rises up to meet my spinning, flailing body in what must be seconds. My hands spread out in front of me as the cold concrete rushes to meet me. The impact is blinding, and shooting pain strikes my hands as my body tumbles forward, hitting the ground. My head smacks against the road, striking more pain into my pain-ridden body as I land. 

I roll once before gravity takes a hold and I lie back on the wet ground. I can't move. My hands tingle; the pain feels like they are on fire. My head pounds, and I feel like someone has taken a hammer to my brain. I can't manage to observe my injuries, my breathing erratic and uncontrollable. 

Pain. Pain. Pain

The only word in my brain, pounding into my skull repeatedly. 

"Gis!" 

The word sounds far away, but when I drag my eyes open I'm surprised to see Cade up on the window ledge, only a few floors up. Shouts call out as the men chasing us reach for him. He slides along the windowsill, trying to get away from them. 

Another wave of pain rolls over me, crashing and dragging me under. I shut my eyes once more, wishing for something, anything, to alleviate the pain. I can't move my body for fear of the pain worsening, but the cold is starting to seep into my bones. I'm starting to shiver, cold and burning up at the same time. 

More shouts break through the haze of pain, but barely. Then a warm hand grasps my shoulder gently, and I know Cade's come for me. He's found me, and we're going to be okay. He'll take the pain away. 

"Calm down. We're going to help you."

My eyes shoot up at the sound of an unknown voice. A dark suited man stares down at me, his hand on my shoulder. I swallow back a scream, my head turning to find where Cade is. 

"Don't touch her!" 

I blink back the pain as the man is wrenched away from me and goes flying into the side of the building. My vision is fuzzy, dancing and swaying, but I can just make out Cade pounding at the man against the building, his fists a flurry of movement.

"C--Cade," I croak, my voice barely above a whisper. All I know is we have to get out of here before the rest of the men catch up. 

The punches stop. Cade wipes off his hands and stands. He takes a step towards me, but my vision rolls, and my mind drags me into the dark before the pain can become unbearable. 

-

The pain is still there when I wake, but it isn't as bad. I can breathe easier, like a weight has been lifted off my chest. My hands tingle, but the ache is in my left wrist. A headache has burrowed itself in the back of my mind, like an insistent knocking on someone's door. I can hardly ignore it. 

I'm on a soft bed, covered in a warm blanket. I don't want to move, worried the pain will become worse if I do. Instead of opening my eyes, I listen. I hear the faint sounds of traffic and transports, as well as the soft hum of a machine. But next to me, I pick up on the sound of breathing. 

My curiosity beats my worry for more pain and I crack an eye open, then another. Cade is slumped next to the bed I'm on, his head bowed. My eyes scan him, checking to see if he's injured. When I find nothing alarming, I close my eyes, letting my body take the sleep it longs for.