4.1

A/N: Here's an on time update for you all! Hope you enjoy ;-) Woohoo, let's see how long this update schedule lasts for. Also, I had fun writing this chapter. Things are starting to change!

-

01 - 24 - 2089

I walk alongside Cade as he brings me back to my room. My tests are done for the day and I'm ready for bed. I have several abominable sores on my neck from some injection they gave me today and they burn. I've tried itching them, hoping to find some relief, but Cade always scolds me.

I reach my hand up again, keeping an eye on Cade as I do it. He's a few paces in front of me, his gait strong and confident as we walk down the spotless hallway.

My hand is almost there when Cade's voice rings down the sterile hallway. "Don't do that," he says, his tone scolding. I lower my arm at my side and frown, wondering how in the world he always knows when I'm about to scratch it. The festering sores beg to be itched, if only to relieve the burning sensation for a moment. 

I try to distract myself with random thoughts that I always seem to have an abundance of. And it works for a minute or so. Then my mind focuses on the nagging pain on my neck again and I resist the urge to scratch for what feels like the hundredth time. 

Hoping it might help distract me, I pick up my pace and fall in line beside Cade. "Can we talk?" Maybe if I focus on him then I won't think about my neck. At least, that's the idea.

Cade glances my way, keeping his pace even. "About what?"

I shrug. "Anything. Something. I need a distraction." I unconsciously reach up to my affected neck, but Cade's hand shoots out and grabs my wrist. He raises his eyebrows and lowers my hand. 

"Clearly," he mutters, his tone suggesting he's frustrated, but I see a smile playing at the corners of his lips. 

"So... tell me something about yourself," I suggest, clasping my hands together so I don't accidentally scratch my neck. Ugh, I want to so bad.

"Not much to tell," Cade says. We turn down the last hallway before my room, near the guard station. 

"Well... what's your favorite..." I grasp for something to ask. "Uh, color?" 

"Brown."

My eyebrows scrunch. "Brown?" I ask in surprise. I would have guessed blue or green. Something bright, just like his personality.

"What?" Cade eyes me, his eyes mischievous. 

"Well, I just would have guessed something else. That's all." I glance at the half asleep guard who reclines in a folding chair that we pass. My room is only a few paces away. "Why is that your favorite?"

Cade shrugs. "It just is," he says plainly, but I can see something dwelling just beneath the surface. Something he doesn't want to tell me. The color obviously has meaning to him, though why I can't tell. 

We come to a stop at my door as Cade punches in the key on the pad. The door slides open, but I hesitate. Cade watches me, his hand still on the pad for the door. 

I take a step forward, but stop in the doorway. Then I glance back at him and say, "I think brown is a great color. I've dreamed of it, sometimes. Though I've never seen it in real life." With that, I step the rest of the way in my room and watch as Cade presses the door closed, some emotion boiling just beneath his surface. He's curious, unique, and unlike anyone else I've ever met.