11.1

A/N: YAY! An on time update! Hehe, enjoy my wonderful readers! Also, this chapter is jampacked with some backstory (yippee!!!) and some sad stuff :/

-

02 - 07 - 2089

When Gunner and Enzo return, I am still groggy and out of it. My headache has dulled to the back of my mind, but it still makes it harder to keep my thoughts clear. I imagine the headache as a little angry creature in my mind, constantly shouting and kicking at me.

Gunner stays at the door when they enter, while Enzo stalks over to me and unties my hands from the chair. I'm about to try and hit him when he grabs my arms, forcing them behind my back. His fists are strong, and I am helpless to fight as he pulls me towards the door.

"Where are you taking her?" Cade demands, and I glance back to see him struggling against the ropes tying him to the chair.

"Don't worry. We won't hurt the little lady," Gunner says, shutting the door behind us as Enzo pulls me into the hall. I hear Cade yelling and struggling inside the room, the kernel of fear in my stomach clinking around painfully.

"Walk," Gunner orders, and my eyes snap to meet his cold ones. A smile draws onto his dark and stone-like features, making him appear more intimidating.

"What's going on?" I ask, my voice coming out much quieter than I had anticipated. Enzo pulls me down the hall and into another room, just as scant and filthy as the one Cade and I were in. The only difference is that this room has no chairs.

Enzo shoves me forward, releasing my hands as I stumble to my knees. I catch myself and turn to face him. Gunner isn't behind him, and for a moment I wonder what is going on. Are they going to get rid of me? Or Cade?

"Please don't hurt us," I beg, scooting back a step when Enzo advances. My back hits the wall before I can put any distance in between us and he stops in front of me, kneeling down to look me in the eyes.

"I'm supposed to make sure you're the girl on TV," he says, his gaze studying me. He looks at me like one might look at an unsolved puzzle. The same way Doctor Acosta always looked at me. Like I'm a novelty, something to be deciphered and studied. I don't like it.

"I--I'm not," I stutter, trying to sound brave. Who knows what Gunner might be doing to Cade at this moment. I need to be strong.

"I'm pretty sure you are," Enzo says slowly, his eyes picking me apart. He reaches forward suddenly, his fingers brushing the side of my face. He's surprisingly gentle, but it doesn't stop the shivers that run down my face and neck. I try to jerk away, but only end up hitting my head on the wall.

Enzo tilts his head and lowers his hand. "You are her," he says at last, more to himself than me.

I'm about to deny it again, when he shakes his head and cuts me off. "Don't deny it. I've watched enough of the news to recognize you. But unfortunately for the people looking for you, I'm not going to turn you in."

His words come as an absolute shock. I'm so shocked that I wonder if I heard him right. He's... not going to turn me in?

As if Enzo can read my mind, he shakes his head. "No, I'm not going to give you back to those monsters. They made you out to be some machine but..." he hesitates, appearing conflicted. "But you are nothing like a machine. You're so different than I imagined." He clamps his mouth shut and turns away, only confusing me more. It seems like he wants to say more, but something is holding him back.

Before I can draw up enough courage to ask him a question of my own, Enzo stands and makes his way to the door. He pauses a moment, not turning, then exits. The door closes then, leaving me alone in the dark.