11.2

A/N: Hello everyone! Just want to let you all know that I am working on a new project for here on wattpad! (Don't worry, I will still write and update for this book as normal) It's a fantasy novel this time! The first fantasy story I've written on Wattpad that is my own original idea :D So anyways, I'd appreciate it if any of you check it out when I publish it. That's it for now. Have a lovely day :)

-

02 - 09 - 2089

Cade and I are safe. For now.

Enzo convinced Gunner that I don't deserve to be given back to Doctor Acosta and the others, much to my relief. Several days have passed since they found us, and I still haven't been allowed to see Cade, but at least Enzo tells me he's okay.

I've been stuck in the same room since they separated Cade and I, and Enzo is the only one I've seen recently. He brings me meals several times a day and stays to talk for a little while. It's nice, but it doesn't fill the hole that being away from Cade has created. I can tell Enzo cares, or at least I think I can, but I've been wrong before.

As I sit in the dark, covered in a purple blanket Enzo brought me last night, my thoughts drift to the next room. I hope Cade isn't worrying. I hope Enzo has told him that we're safe. I hope... oh, what's the use? Hoping doesn't get me anywhere. No matter how sour that sounds, it's the truth.

I hear the scratch beneath the door that signals Enzo coming. The door pops open and he steps inside, bringing a candle with him. He told me yesterday that the electricity in this place doesn't always work, and it isn't trustworthy.

The small flame flickers in his hand, casting a warm, amber glow around the damp room. He smiles and comes to sit down next to me. I straighten and pull the blanket tighter around my arms.

Enzo sets the candle down and hands me a plate of food, but my attention is drawn to the fire. I watch as it dances to an invisible melody. It has no care, no worries. I long to be that way. If only life could be that simple.

"Are you okay?" Enzo asks, noticing that my food is untouched. I know I should eat, but that doesn't mean I will.

"Fine," I mumble vaguely. Slowly, I uncover my hand and draw it near the flames. I feel the soft, comforting touch of the heat as my hand draws closer, and closer. I pause before I touch it, relishing the warmth from something so small.

Enzo rests a tentative hand on my back, and I resist the urge to flinch. Not Cade.

"Can I see Cade?" I pull my hand back into the hidden shadows created by my blanket. I glance over at Enzo to see him shake his head, his face solemn.

"I'm sorry, Gis. Gunner won't allow it. I've convinced him not to give you up, but he's still insistent we find another way to make money from you both."

"So why can't I see Cade?"

Enzo sighs. "Because Gunner is afraid you'll try to..."

"Escape?" I finish, the word bitter on my tongue. I swallow and shake it off, setting the plate of food on the floor.

Enzo doesn't move, but one look at him tells me I'm right. Cade and I are still prisoners here.

"What if I promise not to leave?" I suggest.

Enzo looks at me strangely, tilting his head. He stares at me in a soft way, curious but innocent. I don't mind, although I can't figure what he is thinking. He brushes a strand of hair behind my ear and I shiver, tightening my grip on the blanket. I tuck my toes further against me.