Chapter 1

Layla’s POV

I held tightly to my father’s cold hand as we walked through the misty graveyard, the black dress I wore blew in the cold breeze as we trudged sorrowfully toward the newly excavated hole, which would soon hold a body.

I listened quietly as the priest blessed the body, tears ran down my face and I hugged myself closer to my father, I looked up at him carefully to see his eyes full of tears. As I looked back toward the coffin images of red glowing eyes came to mind, the snap of feral wolves jaws, the screams of my mother and the crack of her neck.

A new set of tears came to my eyes as they lowered the coffin into the ground, “And may the Goddess always protect her, and guide her on the journey to paradise” the priest finished. One after the other pack members stepped forward dropping flowers into the hole, then my father stepped forward and dropped a bouquet of roses into the hole, I was last, I stepped forward and gazed into the dark abyss, seeing only the slightest outline of a coffin that was now covered in flowers.

I held the last flower, a delicate multi-shaded rose, the base was a light pink then trailing into a red and at the tips of each petal the darkest shade of red almost a black. I held it above the pit and said good bye to my mother one last time before dropping it. Letting the flower fall gracefully through the air and into its final resting place.

We walked back through the cold and dark day toward the pack house, the whole time I stayed close to my father trying to comfort both him and myself with each other’s presence. When we reached the house, my father stalked away and into his office, I listened carefully as other people came in, each giving me sorrowful looks and asking if I needed anything.

I sat still for hours just listening and making sure everything was alright with my father, it was around ten at night when he finally left his office to find me curled up on the couch covered in a blanket waiting for him. “Layla why are you still awake?” he whispered caringly, “I didn’t want you to feel alone” I said quietly.

He walked slowly over to me and sat down next to me on the couch pulling me to his side, “Thank you sweetie” he said while kissing my forehead. I closed my eyes and lent into his side, letting myself be lulled to sleep by his loud and strong heartbeat and his constant breathing.

The bright sun reflected into my eyes as I woke, I was still snuggled close to my father on the couch. I let my head rest on his chest once more until I heard him start to stir, “Hey Dad” leftover sadness laced my voice.

“Morning” he said smiling although it didn’t reach his eyes, the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs bought us out of this daze and my father’s face grew hard and serious. “Layla, I need to sort some things out with Harry today, just relax today okay” I nodded and stood up.

As I made my way over to the stairs, Harry my father’s Beta walked down the stairs, “Hey there sweetie” he said sympathetically, I smiled slightly as I passed him and walked toward my room. Once I arrived I walked straight toward my ensuite, I turned the shower on to the hottest setting and stripped down before stepping in.

The burning heat reminded me that I was still alive, that even though my mother was dead I was still here. I let the tears and cries out as I sat there, somehow hoping that the water would wash away the pain.

After about half an hour I was almost cried out, I stood up from the tiled floor and turned off the shower, stepping out into the steaming room. I grabbed a soft black towel and dried myself with it, wrapping it around my body once I was dry I walked out into my room and into my wardrobe, I grabbed a pair of loose tracksuit pants and a loose black shirt that slipped off my shoulder.

I looked toward my bed to see my brother Hayden, sitting on the edge watching me carefully, “You okay sis?” he asked calmly, I nodded lightly trying to hide the fact that I had been crying for the entirety of half an hour. “You know you live in a house full of werewolves’ right? And that we can hear through walls? Especially if it is directly next door” I nodded and walked over placing myself next to him.

“Lay… you know you can talk to me right?” I closed my eyes and leant my head against his shoulder, “I just can’t imagine life without her” I sniffled; we stayed with each other a while longer until my brother needed to get back to his mate, Ashley.

Pulling on a pair of ugg boots I made my way outside, needing to get out of the house, I walked through the backyard toward the woods; I wandered through the trees just wanting to forget everything that had happened.

But unfortunately my father called me back through our mind link. I turned on the spot and hurriedly made my way back, when I reached his office I took a moment to breathe deeply and knocked then let myself in. “Layla, I want to discuss something with you” he said while gesturing to a seat.

I sat down and pulled my legs up beside me, allowing myself to stay warmer, “Since the attack, there have been far more rogues breaching our territory, and as your Alpha and Father I think it would be best if I sent you away for a while, just to keep you safe” he said it so seriously and with no emotion that I knew he was telling the truth.

“You’re send…sending me away” I stuttered, he nodded solemnly. I let out a sigh and nodded, “You will be travelling to a boarding school where you will stay until I deem it safe enough for you to return” he informed me. “When do I leave?” I asked quietly, “Tonight” he answered quickly. I looked up with shock but stood and made my way to the door, “I'm going to pack” he acknowledged me with only the slight tip of the head.

I walked quickly to my room my eyes sore from holding in the tears, but just as I reached for the door knob Harry’s hand took mine, “Are you okay sweetie?” he inquired, “Dad’s sending me away” I said sadly, “What?” Harry looked at me shocked. “He says it’s not safe anymore so his sending me to boarding school to keep me safe” I explained as I pushed open my door.

“I'm sorry Harry but I need to pack, I leave tonight” I said as I pulled my hand out of his and walked into my room. Loud footsteps echoed down the hallway as Harry stalked away; he was my father’s Beta and treated me like a daughter.

Grabbing a suitcase from my wardrobe I started pulling out some clothes, as I pulled out a pair of jeans the sound of yelling hit my ears, I heard the distinct growl of my father and Harry’s deep voice. I ignored it and walked through to my room grabbing a toiletry bag and stalking into my ensuite and filling the bag with all the essentials.

Once I had packed my suitcase with all the things I would need for a few weeks, it was then that I walked over to my desk and stepped on the chair and then onto the top of the table. Finding the vent I flicked it open and pulled out the small box that I had made up since the day of the attack.

I flipped the vent back in place and jumped off the desk, and sat lightly on my bed, opening the old metal box I looked at the pictures I had hidden in here, along with some things my mother and I had collected.

“Layla, Time to Go” my father called from downstairs, I grabbed a backpack and shoved a change of clothes and some other things into it along with the box, I then zipped up the suitcase and walked down stairs.

As I reached the bottom of the stairs I looked over to my father who had a mix anger and regret in his eyes, Harry stepped forward and pulled me into a hug. “Good Luck Kiddo” he whispered into my hair, once we pulled apart my father gave me a quick hug and looked deep into my eyes. “It’s for your own good” and then released me, a beep from the road bought him away from looking at me and I watched through the window to see a cab waiting. He handed me an envelope and then looked toward the door.

Hayden pulled me into a tight embrace and then handed me off to Ashley who attempted to hug me even with her baby bump, she had started to tear up I wiped the stray tears that had flowed down her face.

I took the hint and pulled my bag out the front door and handed it to the driver to put in the car, I slid into my seat and watched as the rain started to bucket down and obscure my view of the family I was leaving behind.