Chapter 5

Layla’s POV

The rain eventually stopped just as we drove past a huge welcome sign, I scooted higher in my seat looking out the windows, watching my old home go past. Turning quickly in my seat I grinned over at Hayden.

“Stop the Truck” I told him with a huge grin covering my face, he pulled over to the side of the road and before the truck had stopped moving I was out the door, I had kicked off my shoes on the drive down so now I just let my feet run through the long wet grass that sat on the side of the road.

“Layla we’ve got to get home” Hayden complained from the driver’s seat, “I’ll race you there” I grinned back at him as I started to run toward the forest, I heard him grumble about me leaving the door open before he revved the engine and roared down the street.

As I continued running on foot I let my wolf take over, I jumped high over a log and let the transformation happen, I felt my bones changing and my skin altering as dark brown fur grew out of my skin. It all happened so quickly that by the time my feet touched the ground they were paws.

Sprinting through the forest in wolf form was amazing, my wolf Aurora couldn’t have felt more at peace, she knew the way to go without ever having run here, she weaved and bounded over trees and past streams knowing that this was where she had come from. This was her home, this was our home.

As we continued running I started to recognise the woods behind the pack house, I continued to run until I stood on the driveway of the pack house waiting for Hayden to show up. Within a few minutes he pulled up looking impressed that I had run so fast.

“Nice running sis, come on we need to get inside, shift back” I looked from him toward the back seat of the truck where my suitcases where currently sitting. He seemed just to have realised and he quickly unlocked the backseat and asked which bag I needed.

I nudged one with my nose and he opened it and turned away from me to give my privacy, I shifted back letting my human side take control and pulled on some tracksuit pants and a jumper before zipping up the case and turning toward Hayden, who still had his back to me.

“Okay, lets do this” I walked toward the front door, hearing the multiple breaths and relative quiet let me know what would happen as soon as I pushed open the doors, “WELCOME HOME!” the crowd shouted.

I grinned ear to ear as I was ushered inside and passed between hugs, I smiled the whole time just soaking in the pack atmosphere I had always desperately wanted. I continued to be greeted and welcomed back with hugs until I stood in front of the person I least wanted to see at the bottom of the staircase.

“Layla welcome home my dear” my smile had dropped as soon as I saw him, but I remembered the promise I made Hayden in the car, “Hi there Da…” I said as I was pulled tightly into his chest, I smiled in his warm embrace and pulled away.

He took a step away from me up one of the stairs, “My fellow pack members, it is with great happiness and love that we welcome back my daughter and your Alpha Female, she has been sorely missed”