Interview 37: ACNichols

1. Can you tell me a little bit about yourself?

Obviously, I am an author. I love animals particularly cats, I have six of them. I am a mother, and a birth mother, wife and homemaker. I can also be a huge nerd, geek, dork whatever you want to call it and I love it. Probably movies and TV are my second passion next to writing. =)

2. What inspired you to write?

My 6th grade teacher Mrs. Condos. I will never forget it and always be grateful to her for encouraging me and believing in me. She saw talent in a class assignment I completed and was my very first cheerleader. The assignment was to write a 3 page story on anything we wanted. I wrote it on my pet hamster at the time. Technically I was 11 since I didn’t turn 12 until June and school was already out.

3. Do you see yourself in any of the characters?

Mostly I see myself in Nathan from Under The Surface. A lot of my past and history was inspiration for his character. Though I think all author’s characters reflect parts of themselves.

4. Do you listen to music while you write? If so what?

No, hahaha. I find this a strange aspect to my writing process as a lot of people do write while listening to music. I find it distracting. I prefer some background noise, a hockey game, movie or TV show.

5. Would you call yourself a wattpad celebrity? Why so or why not?

Not by any means at all. I don’t see myself in that way. I am not one who is really fond of the spotlight. I like to be the one in the background that no one knows about but who helped bring the whole show together. Personally, I am a huge social butterfly with my friends. With my writing I am very shy and humble though I do like to interact with my readers a lot.

6. What were your favorite books when you were growing up?

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Berenstein Bears lol that was when I was little. The Babysitters Club series, Sweet Valley high series, anything written by Dean Koontz, Jackie Collins, Harlequin, Stephen King, Anne Rice, Orson Scott Card, Issac Asimov, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Frank Herbert is my absolute favorite.

7.Who does your covers? If you do, what programs do you use?

Most recently Alex Rosa has (or@pink_dandelion), she understands my ideas and concepts the best. I don’t know how to use photo shop or any artistic program like that at all its not where my creativity lies.

8. When naming your characters, do you give any thought to the actual meaning?

Oh yes very much so. All the main characters in my books I meticulously choose their names based on meaning and relevant to my character’s traits. I have always been a fan of the meaning of names and how they can and do represent a person and their personality.

9. What books have most influenced your life most?

Frank Herbert and his Dune saga and all the books that came after written by his son Brian and Kevin J Anderson. The magic he weaves inspires me beyond anything and to always stand up for yourself and what you believe in no matter what people say. In the end you’re the one who has to live with yourself and your choices.

10. What job did you want to be as a kid?

I wanted to be a teacher hahaha, then it was an author. Never really changed from that though I would have loved to try something in psychology and nursing.

11.Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Oh yes it’s the worst. I dread it when I realize it is there. It tends to happen to me when something outside of my writing is keeping me stressed out or distracted that puts me out of my writing zen.

12. Do you work with an outline, or just write? I always have outlines. I need to make sure the story is consistent and so I don’t forget things and keep plot holes filled. I am not perfect and find any mistakes in my work. We are our own worst critics. 

13. Do you see writing as a career?

Yes, I have never wanted to do anything more.

14. Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?

Frank Herbert, the mysticism and mystery surrounding his story, the concepts and ideas completely intrigue and mesmerize me. The philosophy of his Dune Series is so close to what I believe in and what this world might be doomed to head into its overwhelming and his Dune world is so vast. Its quite difficult to comprehend and I love difficult.

15. Who designed the covers? If you do, what programs do you use?

Usually I have a general idea of what I want and let the artist or cover artist add their own touches to it. I am pretty simple and like to give them creative freedom. 

16. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The darker parts are usually the hardest for me as I have to put myself into that mind set and its hard sometimes to go there because of my own darker side and past experiences.

17. What was the easiest part of writing your book?

The sex lol. I love writing sex scenes. Everyone else is so shy about it and putting it out there. Me, I love it and expressing that kind of intimacy amongst my characters. If you can’t go to both ends of the spectrum and fully indulge yourself to me it comes off as restrained and even fake sometimes.

18.Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learn mostly what my weaknesses and strengths are. What I can do better and what I can tone down. The more I write the more it develops and I recognize and learn my style and technique. That part is probably one of the most fun during the writing process.

19.Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

I love you all! I always say this but its true. Without the readers the books would be sitting there flapping their pages about begging to be turned.

20. Do you have any advice for other writers?

KEEP WRITING AND READING! =D