Chapter Five

Ikram's POV

Something big was about to happen . I could feel it. I didn't know know what it was but I couldn't shake off the feeling. It scared me as much as it excited me. I didn't want to dwell much on it because right now I had a bigger problem. Zahra my best friend. She had been avoiding me. I didn't know what I did.

At school,imemediately a lecture is over, she hurriedly excuses herself and says something's up. I haven't had a proper conversation with her for almost two weeks. I didn't know what was wrong that's why I was on my way to her house now. I don't mind that I haven't called to inform her that I'm coming because she might just give me an excuse and I'm not taking no for an answer today. She'll have to explain herself.

I took my time walking. I decided to walk because their house was just a trekking distance from ours. Besides it was healthy and I could admire the nature around me all day.

I arrived at their house and knocked at their gate. Their gate man, Mallam Musa opened the gate. I greeted him and asked if Zahra was around and he replied with the affirmative.

I walked inside admiring their mansion. The fountain in the middle of the large compound. Rows of cars were parked at one side. They had so many cars. Unlike us that had three. One for Baba, one for Mama and the last one for Ya Ahmad. Yep I didn't own a car yet. But Baba promised me he'll get me one very soon. Although I told him it was fine and that I didn't really mind but insisted. I love this man. Have I mentioned that? Oh yeah I have.

I went up to their front door and pressed the doorbell. The door was opened in a flash and there before me stood Adnan. He looked disappointed as if he was expecting someone and that person definitely wasn't me. He was staring at me so I lowered my head and blushed. God. Why did he always make me blush?

Just at that moment, a young handsome guy who I'm guessing was Adnan's friend came. He said a quick salaam to me and Adnan ushered him in,leaving me standing my the door without even a glance.

I sighed and went up to Zahra's room. I knocked before I heard her shout come in. I went inside and found her lying on her bed playing temple run on her iPhone7. She didn't even raise her head to acknowledge whoever came in. I cleared my throat and announced my presence. The look on her face was priceless. I wanted to laugh but just kept it in because I came to talk about something serious.

"Surprised seeing your abandoned BFF?" I said almost irritably.

She looked as if she wanted to cry and I almost went over to her but I held my myself.

"Cat got your tongue?" I said annoyed. I knew I was being mean but I was really hurt.

"I'm so sorry Ikram." She sobbed. "Please don't think I've been avoiding you for no reason at all."

"Then what's the reason? You finally got tired of me? Or is it because you realized I'm not worth your time anymore?" I was really angry. All the pent up emotions that I've been holding back for the last two weeks came pouring. I knew what I said was a low blow but I was too upset to even think about it.

"How can you say that?" She said angrily. Oh now she was the one being angry.

"You so badly want to know why I've been avoiding you? Well I was ashamed to face you." I was now confused.

"I was ashamed because I broke a promise I made to you." She continued. "You see, Abba wants Ya Adnan to get married so he can take over the company and he told ya Adnan to bring a wife in just one month or else he'll get him married to a village girl."

I was shocked and zoned out completely. I wasn't listening to her anymore. My heart was beating at an irregular pace. Adnan..marriage...in a month's time or rather 2 weeks now. So this was what heartbreak felt like. The kind of heartbreak where you haven't even fallen in love,the type where the other party doesn't even know you exist. How can something that was never even yours to begin with break your heart?