Chapter Nineteen

For official_teemah my favourite cousin. Any one interested in horror books should totally check hers out.

Adnan's POV

"Let's play twenty questions,that way I get to know more about you." I said to Bambi as we were seated in the game room watching some series called Continuum. The series was really not my thing and I was getting pretty bored but this wife of mine is so engrossed in it. I mean what's appealing in people who time travel from 2077 to 2012?

"Just a second. They're trying to figure out who the mole is in the police department and Keira's CMR has been deactivated." She uttered distractedly.

I sighed not even getting what she's saying. "Who's Keira again?" I asked and she punched my shoulder lightly. "The main protagonist of course." She replied.

"Oh,but seriously let's talk. You distracting yourself by watching this series isn't going to change anything you know." I said referring to the arranged marriage of her brother and my sister's heartbreak. It hasn't been easy for her and I could see the dark circles forming beneath her eyes.

She grabbed the remote and paused the video. "I know." She sighed. "But it keeps bothering me. I wonder how the people in question really feel."

"That's why I said we should play 20 questions,it'll put your mind off it for a while though."

"Fine,you go first." She said folding her arms like a little child. She looked cute...

"Okay,let's start with the simple ones,what's your favourite colour?" I asked

"Purple. What about you?"

"Black." I replied easily.

She gave me a look that says am I serious? I just shrugged and gave no explanation. Black represents what I feel within. But these days my life's been a little brighter,a little lighter. And i guess her colours are slowly erasing the black in me.

"When's your birthday?" She asked. Isn't it ironic how I don't know my wife's birthday and she doesn't know mine?

"11th April. Yours?"

"1st January."

"Cool,the new year. Your birthday is coming up pretty soon."

"Yeah it is."

"How many boyfriends have you had?" I asked merely out of curiosity.

She looked away blushing while she replied. "None." She whispered and I almost didn't hear her.

"Wow,I thought maybe you'd have dozens of them because of how pretty you are." She blushed at the comment and then asked me the same question again but changing 'boyfriends' to 'girlfriends'.

"Uhm, well,just one." I said quietly.

She looked over at me and I saw curiosity in those eyes but I didn't say anything. "Your turn." I told her changing the topic but I should've known she's not one to back down easily.

"What's her name?" She asked and I clenched my jaw while holding my fists tight trying to calm myself down. Whispering to myself that I'm over her and I'm getting to give bambi a chance.

"Maryam. Her name was Maryam." I replied quietly. I can't remember the last time I uttered her name.

"Was?" She asked.

"That's one question and it's my turn." I snapped. Talking about her is still a big problem for me.

I saw bambi look away and then I quickly held her hand."I'm sorry,I didn't mean to snap,just that this is a touchy subject for me." I apologized.