Chapter Ten

Dedicated to @rukayya_abdullah for the amazing comments from the beginning of this book. Your comments always makes my day.

I fear myself the most for sometimes my darkness makes me a monster I cannot understand and my sadness hurts others.
-TheSmilingAkh

Adnan's POV

I woke up drenched in my sweat and startled at how the nightmare felt real. Just like all those nights I had them. I sat up and felt for something to hold on to,anything. Something to bring me fully back to reality. I switched on my bed lamp and picked up the Quran that was there. I was never a religious person but I do try. I opened the holy book and read some verses and my thumping heart started to slow down. How the Qur'an helps restless hearts,no one knows until you experience it.

I checked my phone and it was 8:30am. So I went over to the bathroom to do my business. I stared at the mini sized mirror hanging on the wall and two red rimmed eyes stared back at me. There were dark circles underneath my eyes due to lack of sleep. My hair was a dishevled mess. I really need a haircut. To sum up,the reflection looking back at me doesn't look like me. How time flies!

I opened the tap and used the water to splash my face. The water was surprisingly cold for this season. I brushed my teeth,took my bath and came out dripping wet with a towel around my waist. I have to be in the office by 9:00am and it's already 8:50am. I hurriedly dressed in blue plaid shirt and washed out denim jeans. The perks of being the boss, I don't have to dress too formal.

I went out and saw Umma setting the dining table. My stomach rumbled at the sight of the heaven before me. Wafts of pancakes were set with a chocolate syrup to top it. Too bad I'm late. I grabbed an Apple and made my way to the door when Umma stopped me.

"Young man,where do you think you're going without eating?" She asked raising her brow.

I smiled."Umma I'm late for work. I'll grab a burger or something on my way to work." I replied. Umma clearly wasn't satisfied with my answer.

"You're the boss ai,who'd hold you accountable for being late?besides eat my food while you still can because very soon I wouldn't be in charged of that." She said smirking slightly.

I groaned mentally,not wanting to cause myself a massive headache because of some so called marriage.

"Umma,but there are some papers I need to sign. You know I'd love to stay and eat your yummy food." I said ignoring her last sentence and pleading with my eyes.

"No excuses. Come and sit down right this minute. How many seconds will it take you to eat?" She asked. I reluctantly sat at one of the chairs and served myself. Atleast I get to eat the yummy pancakes.

I was munching my pancakes when Zahra came down the stairs from her room. I guess she's going to school. I just hope Umma wouldn't force me to drop her off because I'm seriously late. Speaking of forcing, I remember when Umma made me drop Bambi at their house. I detested her at that moment but the way destiny plays,she's now my supposedly future wife.

Zahra came and sat at the chair beside me. After serving herself,she made herself comfortable and started eating.

"Ya Adnan yaushe za a kai kayan lefe" She asked with mouth full of pancakes. I was about to snap at her when Umma cut me off. "Yes Adnan,we have to start preparing this wedding,it's getting close."

I glared at Zahra and she gave me her not so innocent look. Then I turned to Umma and said. "Umma,please I'll leave you in charge of everything,this is stress wallahi. How much do you need?"